Why do you think this product exists?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'm finding myself why someone would choose this MacBook over a MacBook Air or pro. There's only one port, it's running less powerful hardware, and it doesn't get better battery life than the air. Yes, you get the retina screen, but if you pay a bit more you can get the MacBook pro with a retina display and it has more powerful hardware and battery life that will get you through a day.

Honestly, I'm just not sure why this product exhaust. The one port means it's going to have less utility than other laptops, the mobile processor is not going to be as good as the broad well chips, and the battery isn't anything we haven't seen before.

What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
To answer the headline question... Because Apple sees an untapped market that wants something between the Air and the Pro.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The touchpad looks interesting but it'll come to the others soon enough. I don't see any desire to want this since it's too gimped especially at that price.

Why it exists? There's demand for a retina MBA. This isn't called that but hey, it sure looks like one.

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I agree with you. Apple could have simply made these changes to the existing MacBook Air but why lose out on all that money from emotional buyers. Nothing stirs up the "gotta have it factor" like a brand new product. Yes it is lighter but it's not like people are straining to pick up a 3 or 3.5lbs laptop. Plus you get to show people that you have a gold colored laptop. Truth is most people don't care about inward specs and prefer the cool factor. Apple knows this and is targeting a particular crowd with this MacBook.

Channan

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
This product is for someone who wants an Air-sized MacBook with a much nicer display, has a little extra money to spend, and doesn't need the extra power of the Air. Hell, if I had plenty of money, I'd buy one of these and just get an iMac for home.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing though, If people are open to going the windows route, you can get a dell Xps 13 (1299 model) that's has the same amount of RAM, storage, and a retina grade screen AND it has more powerful internals. I just really question if this is worth the asking price considering what you can get elsewhere for the same price. I know that this is the standard line of PC vs Mac, but I honestly don't see the justification here. Honestly, that's one of my min issues with Apple sometimes. We are literally getting less fu criminality but at a premium price. I don't feel this applies as much to iOS because iPhone prices are roughly equivalent to other flagship phones and iPads also. But honestly, this is one of the reasons I don't think I can get a Mac. I can just get more for my money and possibly better. Maybe if I used OSX I'd have some come to Jesus moment and think it was worth the usability compromises, but I just don't see it. Especially with windows 10 looking as good as it does.

Last edited:

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Here's the thing though, If people are open to going the windows route, you can get a dell Xps 13 (1299 model) that's has the same amount of RAM, storage, and a retina grade screen AND it has more powerful internals. I just really question if this is worth the asking price considering what you can get elsewhere for the same price. I know that this is the standard line of PC vs Mac, but I honestly don't see the justification here. Honestly, that's one of my min issues with Apple sometimes. We are literally getting less fu criminality but at a premium price. I don't feel this applies as much to iOS because iPhone prices are roughly equivalent to other flagship phones and iPads also. But honestly, this is one of the reasons I don't think I can get a Mac. I can just get more for my money and possibly better. Maybe if I used OSX I'd have some come to Jesus moment and think it was worth the usability compromises, but I just don't see it. Especially with windows 10 looking as good as it does.

What do you mean by "Jesus moment"? That can be interpreted as an offensive religious statement.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
It's simple you either want a Mac or you don't.
Currently there are 3 laptops to choose from.

It all depends on what one needs or wants.

If you look on the new MacBook page on Apple.com is all about wireless. But there are other options available if you don't want a wireless based setup.
The new MacBook offers the latest tech as opposed to the MBA.
I like the new MacBook love the colors and the tech but it wouldn't fit what I currently need but that's me for others it may be perfect for their needs.
Choose what you need wether its PC or Mac.
For me a PC is never a option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LockOnTech

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Your quote on one usb port; I have seen some people (myself included) who have macbook air, but rarely seen people have use for the usb port. If you do need multiple ports electronic stores still sells them you could get one there.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's simple you either want a Mac or you don't.
Currently there are 3 laptops to choose from.

It all depends on what one needs or wants.

If you look on the new MacBook page on Apple.com is all about wireless. But there are other options available if you don't want a wireless based setup.
The new MacBook offers the latest tech as opposed to the MBA.
I like the new MacBook love the colors and the tech but it wouldn't fit what I currently need but that's me for others it may be perfect for their needs.
Choose what you need wether its PC or Mac.
For me a PC is never a option.

Out of curiosity why is PC not a option? Windows is actually pretty good these days. (I'm not trying to sell you on it, I'm just curious)

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity why is PC not a option? Windows is actually pretty good these days. (I'm not trying to sell you on it, I'm just curious)

I'm grandfathered in to making music on Mac. Back in the day and up until a few years ago music was recorded exclusively on Mac. The best almost all Music recording software was Mac only. So if you wanted to produce it had to be Mac.
Over the last 10 years or so people are using PC a lot more.
If for some reason I went PC it would be a total redo of software and hardware.
I can plug in a maxed out iMac or Mac Pro and the only time I would lose is the time it takes to plug the computer in.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm grandfathered in to making music on Mac. Back in the day and up until a few years ago music was recorded exclusively on Mac. The best almost all Music recording software was Mac only. So if you wanted to produce it had to be Mac.
Over the last 10 years or so people are using PC a lot more.
If for some reason I went PC it would be a total redo of software and hardware.
I can plug in a maxed out iMac or Mac Pro and the only time I would lose is the time it takes to plug the computer in.

Interesting points. I'm surprised to hear that JORE PCs are being used in music. Every audio related (or graphics design) class I've taken have always used MACs. is that just audio software is catching up on PC?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I'm finding myself why someone would choose this MacBook over a MacBook Air or pro. There's only one port, it's running less powerful hardware, and it doesn't get better battery life than the air. Yes, you get the retina screen, but if you pay a bit more you can get the MacBook pro with a retina display and it has more powerful hardware and battery life that will get you through a day.

Honestly, I'm just not sure why this product exhaust. The one port means it's going to have less utility than other laptops, the mobile processor is not going to be as good as the broad well chips, and the battery isn't anything we haven't seen before.

What do you think? Do you agree? Disagree?

Remember, what doesn't make sense to some makes perfect sense to others. I fall into the category of wanting the new MacBook, and as I've stated in another thread, if I can get by with a 6-year old MacBook then I should easily be able to get by with the new MacBook. My only concern is backing up my iPhone via iTunes. Apple should at least provide a lightning to USB-C adapter. Other than that, I really don't connect anything to my current MacBook - minus the external monitor I used before I decided to replace the inverter. The new MacBook is perfect for my use.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
My only concern is backing up my iPhone via iTunes. Apple should at least provide a lightning to USB-C adapter.
You can do that via wifi... but if you want to restore the iOS from iTunes... there is a USB-C to USB-A dongle, so any current lightning cable will work...

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Interesting points. I'm surprised to hear that JORE PCs are being used in music. Every audio related (or graphics design) class I've taken have always used MACs. is that just audio software is catching up on PC?

Well it isn't so much that audio software caught up on PC.
Now home recording or home studios are the norm.
Which is why a ton of major recording studios have shutdown. So users have looked for different solutions besides Mac because they are not at the held to a platform that a major studio is using.
If you take took a project to several different studios it made sense that it was the same platform the studio had which usually is Mac.
Now users are recording mixing and in some cases mastering at home. So they can do it all on the platform they choose which can be PC.
Apples switch to Intel as caused a huge change in recording music. The difference in what you could do on a pre Intel vs a Intel Mac musically is like night and day.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
My guess: test product

When the Air first came out it was kind of LOL as well but Apple stuck with it, changed some things up, and improved upon the computer as the technology caught up with the design. If they follow the same pattern in 3 or 4 generations this could be an amazing device that everyone will want. For now though it is overpriced and lacking basic functions.

I'd definitely get more excited for it if we had wider access to integrated wireless technology. How great would it be to be able to pop out a wireless BD player that syncs right up with the MBr? An SSD array with the same transfer speed as thunderbolt over wireless? There's potential in eliminating the cord clutter but unfortunately those things don't exist yet but the computer that would be good to have them for does...

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner