Buying Music...

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
No, more or just general searching and trying to buy new stuff. I'm now looking at the latest tracks offered via iTunes. It just seems to clustered. Where as, maybe back in the day, I simply knew what I wanted because I heard X song on the radio, etc.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree that if you're browsing the new UI is a bit less intuitive.
I remember going for the iTunes collections like 80s music, 90s music, and so one. I don't think I've seen them recently.

Sent from my SEXY GORGEOUS AWESOME GOLD 128G iPhone 6

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Jeez, I thought you meant "back in the day" like before itunes! I used to LOVE going into stores like Sam Goody and the Wall, and just browsing CDs. Even Barnes & Noble used to be great...you could search and listen to music, and they even gave you suggestions on other bands or artists that may interest you.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Jeez, I thought you meant "back in the day" like before itunes! I used to LOVE going into stores like Sam Goody and the Wall, and just browsing CDs. Even Barnes & Noble used to be great...you could search and listen to music, and they even gave you suggestions on other bands or artists that may interest you.

EXACTLY this. Now that was "back in the day". It was a weekly ritual for me....I miss those days.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep, sitting in a music store sampling CD's was much more fun than tapping the little dodad on iTunes to hear a few seconds of a song. And browsing the shelves was fun. Heck, I go back to browsing vinyl LP albums. Now those were the days.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yep, sitting in a music store sampling CD's was much more fun than tapping the little dodad on iTunes to hear a few seconds of a song. And browsing the shelves was fun. Heck, I go back to browsing vinyl LP albums. Now those were the days.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

I do the same thing. While I am not a vinyl collector, my brother is. So every time I pass a record store (and actually a few have popped up around me recently), I always browse....not just to find him some good ones, but also because it makes me feel nostalgic, like when I was younger.

I still buy CDs...unfortunately the majority are online. The only places to buy physical music (other than a record store) around me would be a target or a best buy. The problem is...those places carry more mainstream stuff, and recently their "Music" sections have been shrinking.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if anyone remembers the store I mentioned called "The Wall", but this place was great and each CD you bought came with a little sticker you would put on the CD (or case). This sticker was The Wall's "lifetime gaurantee"; for the life of the CD, if anything happened to it you could bring it in and have it replaced for free.

Well, that didn't last long obviously.

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if anyone remembers the store I mentioned called "The Wall", but this place was great and each CD you bought came with a little sticker you would put on the CD (or case). This sticker was The Wall's "lifetime gaurantee"; for the life of the CD, if anything happened to it you could bring it in and have it replaced for free.

Well, that didn't last long obviously.

I remember the Wall. Used to go to the one at Oxford Valley Mall back in the day.....and back in the day was about 25 years ago. Lol

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea I had one near me in Exton. I guess it went out of business in the mid 90s or so. I remember I had the card where a certain number of CDs purchased for you a free one.

Oh the good old days

Les74

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yea I had one near me in Exton. I guess it went out of business in the mid 90s or so. I remember I had the card where a certain number of CDs purchased for you a free one.

Oh the good old days

Ha! Exton! I work very close to there. Small world.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I still go to HMV and buy CDs weekly. I normally purchase it on iTunes and if I like the album I go get the disc. I collect CDs still cause I'm a nerd like that

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I still go to HMV and buy CDs weekly. I normally purchase it on iTunes and if I like the album I go get the disc. I collect CDs still cause I'm a nerd like that

Hawk, I do the same thing. For a random song here and here I will get it on iTunes, but I still buy CDs constantly.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I think it's harder to find new artists to listen to because it seems like the more popular or established artists are afforded a lot more of the space on shelves and iTunes sections

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I think it's harder to find new artists to listen to because it seems like the more popular or established artists are afforded a lot more of the space on shelves and iTunes sections

Best thing to do to find new "good bands" is use an app like rdio and stream the genre you like and then it filters out the all about the bass no treble nonsense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm addicted to Amazon Auto-Rip. They even offer it on some vinyl albums. A couple of my jazz records (and vinyl is the best way to enjoy jazz, I assure you) I only have on vinyl and MP3. It is excellent.

Last.fm isn't what it once was but there are plenty of competitors to it too. I set to a genre or artist I like and just let it drift. I've found a lot of music that way that I never would have tracked down on my own.

jburke82

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I remember when Barnes and noble had a music department that was amazing. You could scan and listen to cds, and it would give you a list of similar artists which you could listen to as well.

Pandora does an ok job with this...depending on the station or group you build.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2