Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By phreddyl
  • 2 Post By pr1nce
  • 1 Post By H A W K
  • 1 Post By H A W K
  • 1 Post By EmceeGeek
  • 1 Post By pr1nce
  • 1 Post By 93Aero
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,235 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,445 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Musical content is too serious these days

    Am I the only one who thinks that music is too serious these day? Music during my teenage and early adult years were all about partying or love (love meaning LOVE, not sex). I'm a fan of "music" and I listen to anything that sounds good to "me". I heard two country songs recently. One was by a young lady who sang about messing up a dude's car because he cheated on her, and the other was by a dude who said that he was about to get his red neck on....What the heck!
  2. #2  
    phreddyl's Avatar

    Posts
    1,956 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,365 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that music is too serious these day? Music during my teenage and early adult years were all about partying or love (love meaning LOVE, not sex). I'm a fan of "music" and I listen to anything that sounds good to "me". I heard two country songs recently. One was by a young lady who sang about messing up a dude' car because he cheated on her, and the other was by a dude who said that he was about to get his red neck on....What the heck!
    I agree. You just don't hear classics like mmmmbop lol. Sorry couldn't resist. I do agree though. That's why I stick to fantasy baseball radio.
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (02-13-2014)
    JustMe'D likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    I don't under music these days look at the top charts I don't really like any of it certainly wouldn't spend my money to buy it


    Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB
    webOS for life

    iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

    kill them with kindness :-)
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (02-13-2014)
  4. #4  
    pr1nce's Avatar


    Posts
    6,758 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    As someone who's been in the radio and music industry for 30+ years this is my opinion. A lot of the music that I listened to in the 70's to late 90's or early 2000's are classic songs that still sound great today. I don't believe 20 years from now we're going to say the same thing about today's music or the artists.


    Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    Thanked by:
    JustMe'D (02-13-2014)
    JustMe'D and kataran like this.
  5. #5  
    metllicamilitia's Avatar
    iMore Pro

    Posts
    620 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,196 Global Posts

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Pfft, you guys aren't listening to metal, metal is still just as classy as ever. With posers floating about still and all. But the trend I'm seeing in metal is progression. Progression into deeper lyrics and more full and complete sounds as a band. The only pop I listen to is late 90's into early 00's, because childhood. Matchbox Twenty, The Wallflowers, Alanis Morissete, Hoobastank, you get the idea.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,235 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,445 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Quote Originally Posted by metllicamilitia View Post
    Pfft, you guys aren't listening to metal, metal is still just as classy as ever. With posers floating about still and all. But the trend I'm seeing in metal is progression. Progression into deeper lyrics and more full and complete sounds as a band. The only pop I listen to is late 90's into early 00's, because childhood. Matchbox Twenty, The Wallflowers, Alanis Morissete, Hoobastank, you get the idea.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I listen to any and everything that sounds good to me, and that includes some metal…
  7. #7  
    H A W K's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    I don't know about your part of the word, but currently in my area the younger generation listens to a form of dance music called "dub step". This music sounds like a battle between the transformers and Star Wars characters. Music is scaring me these days.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JustMe'D likes this.
  8. #8  
    pr1nce's Avatar


    Posts
    6,758 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Musical content is too serious these days

    Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    I don't know about your part of the word, but currently in my area the younger generation listens to a form of dance music called "dub step". This music sounds like a battle between the transformers and Star Wars characters. Music is scaring me these days.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My son is a radio and club DJ he plays mashups and dubstep. I like most of what he plays. I've been hearing this music for quit a while. It's pretty good.


    Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
  9. #9  
    H A W K's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Yeah music is funny that way. Something that completely turns one person off another person likes. I know the people who make dub step are talented people, just replacing the good old guitars, bass, and drums with that is too much for my brain to accept I think.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. #10  
    pr1nce's Avatar


    Posts
    6,758 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    Yeah music is funny that way. Something that completely turns one person off another person likes. I know the people who make dub step are talented people, just replacing the good old guitars, bass, and drums with that is too much for my brain to accept I think.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hear ya. Be careful we're starting to sound old!


    Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
  11. #11  
    H A W K's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    433 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Quote Originally Posted by pr1nce View Post
    I hear ya. Be careful we're starting to sound old!


    Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    Lol I have already accepted the fact I am getting old when I walk into my local hmv and all my bands I listen to are on the discount rack. Makes for cheap music though 😋


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JustMe'D likes this.
  12. #12  
    EmceeGeek's Avatar

    Posts
    1,483 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,548 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1.1

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Quote Originally Posted by pr1nce View Post
    My son is a radio and club DJ he plays mashups and dubstep. I like most of what he plays. I've been hearing this music for quit a while. It's pretty good.


    Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    I've been into dubstep for a few years now but I don't listen to it daily.

    I can relate to what you are saying, with Hip Hop AND R&B. Both have made a complete turn for the worse. As a kid I loved listening to 90s music and early 2000s music but I'm not sure what happen around 2004. Nothing is lyrical, everything is about sex and drugs; and more drugs. NWA (Eazy E, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, etc) were Gangster Rappers in the 80s BUT their music told stories, same with Ice T. These want to be thugs now will say anything that comes out of their mouth and it makes no sense at all, and they're the ones being played all over the place. The lyrical artist or artist with great content, you never hear; kids don't care to hear it. Now, R&B is another story! That lost it's soul in the 90s for sure. I love oldies soul music because my grandma only listened to that, and at 22 I'm probably the only person my age that listens to it on my own and buys it. Maybe it's because my family is full of musicians and my grandma knew artist and producers from Motown days, so I was around them growing up. Maybe I try to compare R&B to that because it's all I heard but today's R&B doesn't even compare to the 90s R&B that I love. Music sucks now, sad to say.


    Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    32GB iPhone 5S 32GB iPhone 5 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5
    kataran likes this.
  13. #13  
    pr1nce's Avatar


    Posts
    6,758 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,315 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Quote Originally Posted by EmceeGeek View Post
    I've been into dubstep for a few years now but I don't listen to it daily.

    I can relate to what you are saying, with Hip Hop AND R&B. Both have made a complete turn for the worse. As a kid I loved listening to 90s music and early 2000s music but I'm not sure what happen around 2004. Nothing is lyrical, everything is about sex and drugs; and more drugs. NWA (Eazy E, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, etc) were Gangster Rappers in the 80s BUT their music told stories, same with Ice T. These want to be thugs now will say anything that comes out of their mouth and it makes no sense at all, and they're the ones being played all over the place. The lyrical artist or artist with great content, you never hear; kids don't care to hear it. Now, R&B is another story! That lost it's soul in the 90s for sure. I love oldies soul music because my grandma only listened to that, and at 22 I'm probably the only person my age that listens to it on my own and buys it. Maybe it's because my family is full of musicians and my grandma knew artist and producers from Motown days, so I was around them growing up. Maybe I try to compare R&B to that because it's all I heard but today's R&B doesn't even compare to the 90s R&B that I love. Music sucks now, sad to say.


    Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S
    Today's R&B is different from the 90s. But that's the same with all music genres.


    Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums
    EmceeGeek likes this.
  14. #14  
    Speedygi's Avatar

    Posts
    1,496 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,224 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Well, music is free in that books and art, everything is really up to interpretation, and you can pretty much go wild or go hard or have fun in any way, shape and form, which is why they have the power to brighten up the soul.

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Wrote pretty much every single word while listening to iRon Maiden
  15. #15  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    7,982 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,984 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    I think there's just too much political BS in music these days...but that isn't something new, there's always some kind of political influence on music, regardless of what generation you look at. Some of my favorite classic rock music found it's core in the anti-war sentiments of the 60's, lol.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,235 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,445 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Quote Originally Posted by H A W K View Post
    Lol I have already accepted the fact I am getting old when I walk into my local hmv and all my bands I listen to are on the discount rack. Makes for cheap music though 


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    (laughing)…I know, right…
  17. Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    17,235 Posts
    Global Posts
    17,445 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    I think there's just too much political BS in music these days...but that isn't something new, there's always some kind of political influence on music, regardless of what generation you look at. Some of my favorite classic rock music found it's core in the anti-war sentiments of the 60's, lol.
    So true…
  18. #18  
    spencerdl's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,492 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,650 Global Posts

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    Every now and then there is a "new" song or remake that I like, but "old school" is definitly better ...IMO
  19. #19  
    93Aero's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,298 Global Posts

    Default Re: Musical content is too serious these days

    My new music consist of old classic remastered recordings. In the last 6 months all I've purchased were Black Sabbath 13 and MotorHead Aftershock.

    Sent from my Q10 using iMore Forums mobile app
    kataran likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Music categories
    By JustMe'D in forum Music
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 10:53 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-14-2014, 02:47 PM
  3. Is there a way to convert an iPhone 4 from CDMA to GSM
    By iMore Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 12:51 PM
  4. Is Apple about the lay the iPad 2 to rest?
    By iMore.com in forum iMore.com News Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM

Posting Permissions

B