Musical content is too serious these days

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that music is too serious these day? Music during my teenage and early adult years were all about partying or love (love meaning LOVE, not sex). I'm a fan of "music" and I listen to anything that sounds good to "me". I heard two country songs recently. One was by a young lady who sang about messing up a dude's car because he cheated on her, and the other was by a dude who said that he was about to get his red neck on....What the heck!

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one who thinks that music is too serious these day? Music during my teenage and early adult years were all about partying or love (love meaning LOVE, not sex). I'm a fan of "music" and I listen to anything that sounds good to "me". I heard two country songs recently. One was by a young lady who sang about messing up a dude' car because he cheated on her, and the other was by a dude who said that he was about to get his red neck on....What the heck!

I agree. You just don't hear classics like mmmmbop lol. Sorry couldn't resist. I do agree though. That's why I stick to fantasy baseball radio.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't under music these days look at the top charts I don't really like any of it certainly wouldn't spend my money to buy it

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
As someone who's been in the radio and music industry for 30+ years this is my opinion. A lot of the music that I listened to in the 70's to late 90's or early 2000's are classic songs that still sound great today. I don't believe 20 years from now we're going to say the same thing about today's music or the artists.

Sent from my iPhone using iMore Forums

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Pfft, you guys aren't listening to metal, metal is still just as classy as ever. With posers floating about still and all. But the trend I'm seeing in metal is progression. Progression into deeper lyrics and more full and complete sounds as a band. The only pop I listen to is late 90's into early 00's, because childhood. Matchbox Twenty, The Wallflowers, Alanis Morissete, Hoobastank, you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Pfft, you guys aren't listening to metal, metal is still just as classy as ever. With posers floating about still and all. But the trend I'm seeing in metal is progression. Progression into deeper lyrics and more full and complete sounds as a band. The only pop I listen to is late 90's into early 00's, because childhood. Matchbox Twenty, The Wallflowers, Alanis Morissete, Hoobastank, you get the idea.

I listen to any and everything that sounds good to me, and that includes some metal…:)

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't know about your part of the word, but currently in my area the younger generation listens to a form of dance music called "dub step". This music sounds like a battle between the transformers and Star Wars characters. Music is scaring me these days.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about your part of the word, but currently in my area the younger generation listens to a form of dance music called "dub step". This music sounds like a battle between the transformers and Star Wars characters. Music is scaring me these days.

My son is a radio and club DJ he plays mashups and dubstep. I like most of what he plays. I've been hearing this music for quit a while. It's pretty good.

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah music is funny that way. Something that completely turns one person off another person likes. I know the people who make dub step are talented people, just replacing the good old guitars, bass, and drums with that is too much for my brain to accept I think.

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah music is funny that way. Something that completely turns one person off another person likes. I know the people who make dub step are talented people, just replacing the good old guitars, bass, and drums with that is too much for my brain to accept I think.

I hear ya. Be careful we're starting to sound old! :)

HAWK

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya. Be careful we're starting to sound old! :)

Lol I have already accepted the fact I am getting old when I walk into my local hmv and all my bands I listen to are on the discount rack. Makes for cheap music though 😋

EmceeGeek

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
My son is a radio and club DJ he plays mashups and dubstep. I like most of what he plays. I've been hearing this music for quit a while. It's pretty good.

I've been into dubstep for a few years now but I don't listen to it daily.

I can relate to what you are saying, with Hip Hop AND R&B. Both have made a complete turn for the worse. As a kid I loved listening to 90s music and early 2000s music but I'm not sure what happen around 2004. Nothing is lyrical, everything is about sex and drugs; and more drugs. NWA (Eazy E, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, etc) were Gangster Rappers in the 80s BUT their music told stories, same with Ice T. These want to be thugs now will say anything that comes out of their mouth and it makes no sense at all, and they're the ones being played all over the place. The lyrical artist or artist with great content, you never hear; kids don't care to hear it. Now, R&B is another story! That lost it's soul in the 90s for sure. I love oldies soul music because my grandma only listened to that, and at 22 I'm probably the only person my age that listens to it on my own and buys it. Maybe it's because my family is full of musicians and my grandma knew artist and producers from Motown days, so I was around them growing up. Maybe I try to compare R&B to that because it's all I heard but today's R&B doesn't even compare to the 90s R&B that I love. Music sucks now, sad to say.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

pr1nce

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been into dubstep for a few years now but I don't listen to it daily.

I can relate to what you are saying, with Hip Hop AND R&B. Both have made a complete turn for the worse. As a kid I loved listening to 90s music and early 2000s music but I'm not sure what happen around 2004. Nothing is lyrical, everything is about sex and drugs; and more drugs. NWA (Eazy E, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, etc) were Gangster Rappers in the 80s BUT their music told stories, same with Ice T. These want to be thugs now will say anything that comes out of their mouth and it makes no sense at all, and they're the ones being played all over the place. The lyrical artist or artist with great content, you never hear; kids don't care to hear it. Now, R&B is another story! That lost it's soul in the 90s for sure. I love oldies soul music because my grandma only listened to that, and at 22 I'm probably the only person my age that listens to it on my own and buys it. Maybe it's because my family is full of musicians and my grandma knew artist and producers from Motown days, so I was around them growing up. Maybe I try to compare R&B to that because it's all I heard but today's R&B doesn't even compare to the 90s R&B that I love. Music sucks now, sad to say.

Sent from my [Gold] iPhone 5S

Today's R&B is different from the 90s. But that's the same with all music genres.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Well, music is free in that books and art, everything is really up to interpretation, and you can pretty much go wild or go hard or have fun in any way, shape and form, which is why they have the power to brighten up the soul.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I think there's just too much political BS in music these days...but that isn't something new, there's always some kind of political influence on music, regardless of what generation you look at. Some of my favorite classic rock music found it's core in the anti-war sentiments of the 60's, lol.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Lol I have already accepted the fact I am getting old when I walk into my local hmv and all my bands I listen to are on the discount rack. Makes for cheap music though 

(laughing)…I know, right…:)

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think there's just too much political BS in music these days...but that isn't something new, there's always some kind of political influence on music, regardless of what generation you look at. Some of my favorite classic rock music found it's core in the anti-war sentiments of the 60's, lol.

So true…:)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Every now and then there is a "new" song or remake that I like, but "old school" is definitly better ...IMO

93Aero

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
My new music consist of old classic remastered recordings. In the last 6 months all I've purchased were Black Sabbath 13 and MotorHead Aftershock.

Sent from my Q10 using iMore Forums mobile app

blessed2bamommie

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I listen to Praise & Worship or CCM. I adhere to the Scripture whatever is true and lovely, whatever is of good report, think on these things. If it doesn't uplift my spirit I don't listen. There's a lot of great stuff in those genres.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox