Partitioning hard disk in a Mac with Sierra

MicheleSamaja

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
I am trying to partition the hard disk to accommodate an older MacOs version that can run only when needed. I used the Disk Utility and all went smooth until pressing the Apply button. After a few minutes, when "shrinking file system", the Mac stops and restarts, of course without creating the new volume. Do you now how to handle this? Thanks!

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Is it even possible to partition the Mac's drive these days? I mean, beyond the virtual partitions created by products like Parallels. Its been years since I even considered that sort of thing - and now, with an MBA with a factory SSD, size would preclude it.
I did partition an external drive with my MBA - half for Time Machine and half for misc storage - and that went off without issue. I don't suppose the older OS would run off an external drive?

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
It is possible to install and run Mac OS from an external drive.

If the older Mac OS installation is only going to be used occasionally, I would suggest looking into installing it on a fast external drive - ideally an SSD with at least a Thunderbolt connection if you Mac supports it.

I have briefly used this type of setup in the past and the speed differences vs an internal drive are negligible.

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Try booting to recovery and shrink disk as needed...... I do know Disk Utility has it's 'quirks' when the OS is running.. For some reason Apple change how these are interconnected...

a.k.a he same thing happens as how u are unable to verify or repiart he boot drive for permissions, but u can outside the OS... even for external drives...For reason still unknown now in Sierra Apple cooperates first aid into a single button, completely obfuscating the repiar case.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2