Can't get Boot Camp/Win 10 to work

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, thanks in advance for your help!

I have one of the new Macbook Pros up and running, and I am trying to install Windows 10 via Boot Camp, but it keeps failing with "Windows cannot locate the disk and partition".

I ran Bootcamp, pointed it to a Windows 10 ISO. I have plugged in a USB stick formatted FAT, 64GB, connected via a new USB-C to USB adapter. I formatted it FAT thru Disk Utility/erase on the MBP.

In Boot Camp I set the slider for the disk to be partitioned half and half - 1 TB each (it's a 2 TB disk). Plenty of free space on the MacOS side.

Boot Camp reboots and I see Windows start - Setup. It asks me to enter my product key, which I do. It asks me to agree to license terms, which I do. I get the screen where the first line is the bolded status "Copying Windows Files 0%) - it stays there about 20-30 seconds, I see the USB stick flashing, then I get the error message "Windows cannot locate the disk and partition".

What am I doing wrong? The directions seem to say everywhere to just download the ISO file, and of course I point Boot Camp to it. Am I supposed to copy it to the USB stick?

EDIT: I tried formatting as FAT under Disk Utility, but the 4GB ISO file would not copy over - not enough room, which is odd as it is a 60GB stick. I formatted exFAT and copied the ISO file there, same problem. I tried formatting it as NTFS on a Windows computer, and I could not copy the ISO file to it - macOS didn't recognize the format I guess. So I have no idea why this does not work!

Last edited:

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone help? I discovered I don't even need the USB, using the new MBP 15. It seems Boot Camp Assistant does everything, as it does not let me pick the partition to install Windows to once it restarts. Yet I keep getting "Cannot locate disk and partition in attended answer file" <ImageInstall> setting.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner