What's wrong with spam filtering in Mail (Sierra)? How to fix it?

GabeG

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Spam filtering has worked like a charm but now when upgraded to Sierra it works badly - most spam mails appear and even though I am marking them as spam they return day after day... Also when trying to move them to Trash there is (sometimes) a message that Trash cannot or will not receive the spam mail message. Totally weird.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm not using macOS Sierra, but hopefully members who are will reply soon with a remedy. Take care..

weirdnoise

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the opposite problem. Spam filtering was working great before the update but after upgrading to Sierra many of my non-spam messages are winding up in Junk. Even after I mark them as non-junk, similar messages (e.g. newsletters, order confirmations) wind up in the Junk folder. The end result is that I see all the spam messages anyway as I scan for false-positives.

It's bad enough that I'm willing to start over with the spam-filtering algorithm and spend the next month "training" it to recognize spam. Nuking its database (after backing it up, of course) may be the only way out -- if I can find how to reset it. This might make things worse, but spam filtering is so horribly broken for me that it's worth a shot.

GabeG

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Ok, the jury's still out, but I start to think my Mail after upgrading to Sierra just had reset the spam "training" and started from scratch. I also have to go through the spam box and pick out a few legitimate emails. But as time goes by and I am constantly marking the spam as spam the number of spam seems to go down in my inbox The spammers annoyingly send the same spam mails from a multitude of addresses so it will take time to clean it up again. But there is some hope now...

GabeG

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Did the update, and it seems to have fixed spam filtering for my gmail account. It filters beautifully now. But for my 2 IMAP accounts there is no improvement to be seen. Still a lot of spam - and I also have to check through the trash boxes to pick out a few legitimate mails every now and then. It has become a daily chore...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2