Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sicily1918
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Elite

Default Deleting trash

I've deleted some old back-up files from my external hard drive into the trash, and now i can't delete them permanently. These were back-ups from the "time machine". I really don't want to buy a removal app, but i could use a little help, if possible. Thanks.

P.S. I don't know if this means anything, but when i unmounted my external hard drive, the trash container became empty. Then when i remounted the hard drive, all the trash came back.
    iMore Newbie

Default Re: Deleting trash

The trash is back because it's on the external HD. Plug it in and then empty trash -- should take care of it.

If not, open a terminal, type the following:

• cd /Volumes/[your hdd name]/.Trash
    • rm -rf *

And you're done!

Oh, it's possible the dir is named .Trashes, so if .Trash doesn't work, it'll be that.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Elite

Doesn't work. Is there a way to completely wipe the external HD? I have some new backups on it already, but i can always do more.

UPDATE: Problem solved. Opened Disc Utility and erased the disc. Seagate ext. HD reformatted automatically. Trash emptied, and making new backups in time machine.
    Last edited by grunt0300; 10-08-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by grunt0300 View Post
    Doesn't work. Is there a way to completely wipe the external HD? I have some new backups on it already, but i can always do more.

UPDATE: Problem solved. Opened Disc Utility and erased the disc. Seagate ext. HD reformatted automatically. Trash emptied, and making new backups in time machine.
    For future reference, if the rf command doesn't work, try putting sudo in front of it.

I know you don't need it for the home trash dir, but I always forget if mounted volumes need root access.
    grunt0300 likes this.