Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sicily1918
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Default Trim on Samsung Evo 850 SSD?

just purchased The Samsung Evo 850 500 GB internal SSD for my MacBook Pro . Ridiculous speed. So good I clean installed Sierra just to see if it could /would load faster. It does! The Trim thing is really annoying me however as I can not seem to a straight answer as to if it's worth my time & $ to buy software to enable Trim on my Evo. Half forums say no/ the other half yes. The Evo is Trim enabled as shipped but is it really worth it re additional software?
    Oh if the resounding answers are yes then can anyone point me to the most effective piece of SW to enable Trim?
    Thanks,
    Jayzen

Default Re: Trim on Samsung Evo 850 SSD?

Hopefully, someone who is familiar with what you've described will reply soon.
    iMore Newbie

It's rather easy: open a command line and type:
    Code:
    sudo trimforce enable
    It'll then reboot, so make sure you've nothing running.
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Newbie

Thanks for the response. I take it, implied by your post, the trim is worth enabling then? I know it's a read and write issue. How do you mean you have nothing running? As in do not use my Mac until I run this command line or simply shut down on the ground automated services when I do so?
    TIA-J
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Newbie

Sorry for the double post but I just remembered also to ask what kind of speed differences did you experience when trim was enabled? Was it tangible? Thanks again for all your help! That's why Mac people are the best :-)
    Jayzen
    iMore Newbie

Yeah, it's worth enabling, although the Mac's filesystem's supposed to be rather kind to SSDs, TRIM or not.

What TRIM does is zero unused blocks (like after a file's deleted) so that the drive doesn't have to do it when it's writing a file -- that's where you'll see some performance degradation on an SSD, as it'll have to do an erase and then a write to that block. I very seriously doubt you'll see much of a performance gain, unless you're writing files (new or altered) into the SSD like crazy.

What I mean is that after you run the command, it'll warn you in legalese to type y or n. It'll then tell you that it's going to reboot immediately after it's done (on my 2011 MBP it took maybe 3 minutes before it rebooted), type y or n. If you type 'y' both times and you were running Word, or a web browser, or what have you, the machine will reboot without caring about it, and you could lose your work.
    Jayzen likes this.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

Fascinating. Really got me looking even further into the the machinations SSD. I recall using a cassette tape with my Commodore for the first time. How far we have come. Thanks for your engaging information.
    Regards,
    J