Fastest Browser on Sierra?

Jayzen

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Safari 10 is a huge improvement, for me, but is their any any consensus as to which Browser is the Fastest (page load) for Mac OS? Would love some feedback. Could not find up to date benchmarks?
TIA-Jayzen

Ericclark4

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Probably Safari, because it comes in with the OS. Chrome just updated their javascript engine to achieve faster performance but i'm unsure what that performance look like on respective Operating Systems

rdstryr

Trusted Member
Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Safari is excellent. Chrome was always fast for me but it sucked the hell out of my battery anytime I used it so I stopped and never looked back. I'm sure that issue has been fixed but I am perfectly fine and have no complaints with Safari.

Ericclark4

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Chrome is an excellent Browser however it uses a lot of resources (like Ram) but as a Christmas present this year supposedly Google is going to redesign it and it will use less resources.

Sikosis

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I find on older hardware running macOS Sierra, that Chrome is significantly faster. On newer hardware, they're about the same, just prefer using Safari for the cloud features.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I tend to go back and forth between Safari and Chrome. I haven't made a decision yet on which will be my default.

Yeah, me too.

Is Safari faster? Perhaps, but my life is not measured in nanoseconds. Both offer cross-platform sync'ing, while I still have a few Extensions I use on a regular basis on Chrome that Safari has no equivalent. Given Ive's visual tweaking of MacOS, I'm surprised that Safari, visually, still lives not far off early, early OSX - and while I know that's just frou-frou (I don't do Themes on Chrome), its a visual Q thing. Safari just isn't all that attractive.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, me too.

Is Safari faster? Perhaps, but my life is not measured in nanoseconds. Both offer cross-platform sync'ing, while I still have a few Extensions I use on a regular basis on Chrome that Safari has no equivalent. Given Ive's visual tweaking of MacOS, I'm surprised that Safari, visually, still lives not far off early, early OSX - and while I know that's just frou-frou (I don't do Themes on Chrome), its a visual Q thing. Safari just isn't all that attractive.

I'll admit that I've used the Mac OS X Simple theme for Chrome, but it wasn't worth keeping.

Jayzen

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Google was saying that about Chrome this fall:rolleyes: Makes one wonder if the resourse (Ram hit is massive imho) is just so much smoke & mirrors. Here's hoping it is not.

Jayzen

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I miss Netscape's Communicator Suite:yes:...BTW I concur with this iteration of Safari/Mac OS it has put it in the lead page load wise. Chrome remains a memory hog for my usage.
J

Tech198

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Any default browser, is gonna be the "choice" because only the company who makes it will works best with the OS.. I still gotta try Safari, because i think it's Firefox that is causing fans to spin..

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
As someone who frequently switches between Chrome / Firefox / Edge on Windows machines, I don't miss any of those browsers when I use my Mac. Safari all the way.

garebare48

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I've found Chrome was much faster for my uses, but I dumped it bc it was keeping Bitdefender very busy, and it would stop and drop fairly often. I'm taking online courses, so that was unacceptable. More stability would be nice; Safari has never locked up on me. I have since installed an SSD, so now speed isn't an issue for me anyhow. Gotta have Keychain, too.

89interlude

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
For me, Chrome demands more system resources than Safari… but it's only because I'm a Chrome extension-*****.

Mother of god...I just counted. I have 136 extensions & apps in my default Chrome profile. Only about 10-25 are enabled at any given time (the rest are disabled). I'm a disgusting hoarder, I know.

If Safari had a decent extension ecosystem like Chrome, I'd use Safari for sure.

This obviously results in slower performance than Safari… but I'm not pulling my hair out or anything. The costs outweigh the benefits, for me at least.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro