Are you going to use optimize storage?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Im kinda back and forth wether this whole optimized storage and deleting things when space is needed is ok or not. I still have over 800 gabs free on my mac, so I'm nowhere near in danger of this happening, so I'm wondering if I'm the perfect candidate for this. just so I'm clear, if I enable optimizing iCloud it won't delete anything from my actual computer unless I'm close to filling up my Harddrive, right? do you plan on enabling this feature?

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love it on my iPhone and on my iPad, but it's nice to have a full copy somewhere. It's the only way to have a real Time Machine backup or an online backup.

Bazza1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Nope.

iCloud okay for backup of (non-essential / private) files and for cross-device use - though I'd advise against iCloud Drive > Documents and Desktop, too - but to have stuff removed from Local to iCloud generally troubles me. First, it relies on always having access to the net to be able to retrieve access the stuff there, and, secondly, Apple has generally had a pretty patchy history with anything to do with the Cloud, and I don't trust a service that exists today will exist tomorrow with them.

(Anybody remember when the whole point of a personal computer was to have a device with its own computing power, software and the ability to have your files locally, and not have to rely on a sometimes dodgy connection to a distant mainframe not controlled by you?)

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Nope.

iCloud okay for backup of (non-essential / private) files and for cross-device use - though I'd advise against iCloud Drive > Documents and Desktop, too - but to have stuff removed from Local to iCloud generally troubles me. First, it relies on always having access to the net to be able to retrieve access the stuff there, and, secondly, Apple has generally had a pretty patchy history with anything to do with the Cloud, and I don't trust a service that exists today will exist tomorrow with them.

(Anybody remember when the whole point of a personal computer was to have a device with its own computing power, software and the ability to have your files locally, and not have to rely on a sometimes dodgy connection to a distant mainframe not controlled by you?)

But just so I'm clear, everything will still be local until your under a certain amount of free space, correct? I can't see myself filling up a 1TB mac hard drive to be honest.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Had 31 Gb free before Sierra installation, now I have 47 Gb free. Quite happy about that !
Still have to check the drawbacks over the time, but so far so good

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
This is kinda off topics, but what do you guys use for backing up? Right now I'm using time machine and carbon copy cloner, but I'm wondering if I should use something like back blaze for a off site backup.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro