Seeing ?Java command-line tool? pop-up every 2 - 3 hours since updating to macOS Sierra

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Ever since updating to macOS Sierra, I see the following pop-up every two or three hours or so:

Exhibit A:
j1.png

Obviously, I clicked on “More Info…” which takes me to the following website but there’s a Safari pop-up over the site:

Exhibit B:
j2.png

So I went to the Security pane of Safari preferences and placed a checkmark by “Java”, like so:

Exhibit C:
j3 ticked Java.png

Then I click on Done and Safari’s pop-up disappears and I’m back at the website I posted above:

Exhibit D:
j4.png

Then I click the button that says “Agree and Start Free Download” but then this message appears:

Exhibit E:
j5.png

I then close out the browser, continue using my computer, then everything happens again about two or three hours later.

I’d be more than happy to completely uninstall Java permanently, due to its questionable safety and what-not, but why do I keep getting the pop-up shown in Exhibit A, above? How do I determine what is installed on my iMac that keeps trying to call Java?

Last edited:

rickpoet

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I found an answer which worked for me in the Macrumors forums.

Head here: Java SE Development Kit 8 - Downloads

Under "Java SE Development Kit 8u101", select the "Accept License Agreement"...and then under that download the version for "Mac OS X".

Install it.

No more Java command-line tool" pop-up since installing this yesterday.

I hope it works for you too!

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

Under "Java SE Development Kit 8u101", select the "Accept License Agreement"...and then under that download the version for "Mac OS X".

Install it.

Thanks, just finished installing that and now I’m keeping fingers crossed. I'll report back to say that hopefully the pop-up has been banished.

Thank you kindly for your help!

Rafagon

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site

Install it.

I can’t thank you enough. The annoying pop-up hasn’t reared its ugly ahead again.

Seriously, thank you kindly.

blochamok

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Ohhh! if this works you made my day!!! :-D - I've been pulling my hair out and upating it a zillion times! - fingers crossed!!!

a2daj

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
One thing that I've noticed with major OS updates, like Sierra or El Capitan, Apple seems to have a knack for randomly messing with installed developer tools, like breaking links to my JDK installation. This could be the case for others having this issue. Reinstalling the JDK is one way to resolve the issue. If you're familiar enough with the Terminal, you can manually fix this, but the JDK installer is the safer way.

I'm a little more curious into the cause of the Java executable being invoked rather than the fix.
Java installations normally come in three flavors.
  • The Java Runtime Environment (JRE), which includes things such as the browser plugins. This allows you to run Java programs, but it doesn't allow you to develop them. Most people only need this.
  • The Java Server JRE, which is for Linux, Solaris, or Windows servers. There's no OS X version.
  • The Java Development Kit. You need this to compile Java applications. It includes the JRE when installed. But the versions of the JDK and JRE can diverge since the JRE can check for updates and request installation by itself. When the JRE updates, it does not automatically update the JDK.

As instructed, you installed the Java Development Kit, which should only be required by Java developers. So, what is requiring the JDK? What Java application do you have installed that requires the command line Java executable? Is there anything in the Console regarding Java whenever the dialog about installing the JDK would pop up?

Hatya

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I finally found a better solution:

1) Right-click Finder
2) Select 'Go To Folder'
3) Type in the search window " ~/Library/LaunchAgents/ "
4) If available, right-click the file " com.facebook.videochat.USERNAME.plist "
5) Select " Move to Trash "
6) Empty Trash
7) Restart Mac. Message should no longer be popping up.

source: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7258630?tstart=0

It's better because it deals with the problem's source. Java is not needed by most, so it's better without it. This may not work for 100% of cases, because you may have calls to the Java command-line tool from other places, but it's unlikely.

adyblain29

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Re: Seeing �Java command-line tool� pop-up every 2 - 3 hours since updating to macOS Sierra

This is definitely the preferred solution for me, because i do not want to be forced to install software to make a popup disappear.

In fact, uninstalling a ****e app is far better.

Thank you!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73