Time Machine not backing up after macOS Sierra update

maverick78

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Since upgrading to macOS Sierra my backup's haven't been working. It seems to be constantly 'Preparing Backup' for several hours. I have a late 2014 Macbook Pro 13". I've performed an SMC and PRAM (NVRAM) reset. I've also restarted my Time Capsule. Any suggestions or will I need to perform a clean install of macOS Sierra?

Last edited:

maverick78

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Update: I've now tried to back up in safe mode and have had success! Not ideal but hopefully Apple will fix this issue with the next update.

maverick78

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Further update. It transpires that it was my Sophos Antivirus that was causing the issue. I have temporarily disabled the anti-virus and now Time Machine is working without issue. Hopefully Sophos will update Sophos Home. Hope this helps you out if you're experiencing the same issues.

Last edited:

nonimcc

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Further update. It transpires that it was my Sophos Antivirus that was causing the issue. I have temporarily disabled the anti-virus and now Time Machine is working without issue. Hopefully Sophos will update Sophos Home. Hope this helps you out if you're experiencing the same issues.

I don't have Sophos, I've tried restarting in safe mode, PRAM and trashing the in progress file and it just seems to be getting slower and slower. Help?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice