Hi folks. Since updating to Sierra I have noticed the 3-finger tap that automatically highlights the word and brings up the dictionary is not working. Anybody else experience this? How to solve it?

I use the dictionary function a lot and it is one of those little things that makes me love my macbook so much. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
    09-23-2016 01:24 AM
    Hi folks. Since updating to Sierra I have noticed the 3-finger tap that automatically highlights the word and brings up the dictionary is not working. Anybody else experience this? How to solve it?

I use the dictionary function a lot and it is one of those little things that makes me love my macbook so much. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
    As far as I know, you have to highlight the word whose definition you want to look up. then tap on Select, then tap on the Right Arrow, then tap on Look Up like this:

Three finger tap for dictionary not working-1.png

Once you do that, tap on Look Up, and then it will give you the definition of the word:

Three finger tap for dictionary not working-2.png

If this doesnt work for you, please let me know.
    09-23-2016 06:35 PM
    I’m so sorry. I realize now you’re asking about macOS Sierra and not iOS 10.

Pretty much the same applies:

Highlight the word whose definition you want to look up, right click, the left click on “Look Up [word]”, like this:

Three finger tap for dictionary not working-xx.png

Again, please get back to me if that doesn’t work for you and I will be more than happy to help you arrive at a solution.
    09-23-2016 06:39 PM
    Incidentally, I do not see an option for getting the definition of a word under System Preferences > Accessibility:

Attachment 112170

So you may be stuck with highlighting the word whose definition you need and left-clicking on it.
    09-23-2016 06:47 PM
    Same here.
    09-24-2016 04:28 AM
    Can you please reattach the photo? I can't seem to find anything relating to definition at Preferences > Accessibility
    09-24-2016 04:32 AM
    Actually it is a feature which is disabled by default when you update your OS. I faced the same issue after updating to El Capitan, I now remember. I googled it and found the solution.

You need to go to Trackpad settings and enable the option shown in the screenshot. Problem solved.

Three finger tap for dictionary not working-track.jpg
    09-24-2016 10:35 AM
    This worked for me.

Open the dictionary app. It will ask to download dictionaries. Click Accept or OK.

Once they are downloaded the three finger tap for dictionary should work.
    09-25-2016 01:24 PM

I don't use the 3-fingers tap, but the force touching tap, and it works
    09-26-2016 01:20 PM
    Thanks for the help folks. The issue has been solved
    09-27-2016 04:54 AM