Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Yester
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Pro

Default No update

I don't see the Sierra update in the App Store

Default Re: No update

It's not out till the 20th of September.
    Chris Cook5 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts

Usually 10am Pacific Time on the release day in North America.

[EDIT: Though sometimes 1pm Pacific Time, depending on their whims, I suppose]
    Last edited by Bazza1; 09-20-2016 at 01:20 PM.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,735 Global Posts

3 1/2 hours from when I'm typing this.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Pro

I don't see the update in my App Store

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cook5 View Post
    I don't see the update in my App Store
    It should be showing up as long as your Mac is compatible. More details here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201475
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Pro

Default No update

I can download it in the categories or featured sections but it does not appear in the updates. Why is that. (I have an iMac that was bought earlier this year
    Last edited by Chris Cook5; 09-21-2016 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Cook5 View Post
    I can download it in the categories or featured sections but it does not appear in the updates. Why is that. (I have an iMac that was bought earlier this year
    Sierra is not going to show up under updates because there's nothing to update. macOS Sierra is not considered an update to OSX, it's a completely different operating system.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Sierra is not going to show up under updates because there's nothing to update. macOS Sierra is not considered an update to OSX, it's a completely different operating system.
    Oh right, I had forgotten that - as least as spun by Apple PR.

I'd argue that it is hardly a 'completely different operating system' (unlike the big move from the original 'Classic' MacOS to OSX). Its still just an upgrade (even Apple calls it this on its own site -https://www.apple.com/ca/macos/sierra/), albeit one that may prep things for their new Apple File System - across all their OSs - but not out until next year. Changing the name of the OS does not change that.

Mostly, its just another update with the usual crop of bells, whistles and security updates. Nothing Insanely Great or One More Thing. Should'a been in the Updates section of the App Store for applicable Macs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazza1 View Post
    Oh right, I had forgotten that - as least as spun by Apple PR.

I'd argue that it is hardly a 'completely different operating system' (unlike the big move from the original 'Classic' MacOS to OSX). Its still just an upgrade (even Apple calls it this on its own site -https://www.apple.com/ca/macos/sierra/), albeit one that may prep things for their new Apple File System - across all their OSs - but not out until next year. Changing the name of the OS does not change that.

Mostly, its just another update with the usual crop of bells, whistles and security updates. Nothing Insanely Great or One More Thing. Should'a been in the Updates section of the App Store for applicable Macs.
    Oh yeah it's complete spin. It's just the way they've always done major OS releases, with incremental updates available in the Updates tab.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    Oh yeah it's complete spin. It's just the way they've always done major OS releases, with incremental updates available in the Updates tab.
    Meanwhile - weirdly - having installed it, it is not showing up here in the installed Updates list, nor in the Purchased listing (where past 'major' updates are still listed). Hiccup or sloppy.