Unlock macOS with Apple Watch...

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get this to work consistently and if so what did you do? I would say 1 in 20 unlocks work with the pairing of the Apple Watch and My MBPr, but mostly it just shows the password entry window.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, I do not have a Mac running macOS to test it on. Hopefully, someone who does will reply soon...��

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Works fine for me.

On reboots I get the password log in. All other times it unlocks with Apple watch.

KBV1 - You have to go into Security and Privacy and choose unlock with Apple Watch. You must have 2FA turned on in your Apple ID.

KBV1

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Works fine for me.

On reboots I get the password log in. All other times it unlocks with Apple watch.

KBV1 - You have to go into Security and Privacy and choose unlock with Apple Watch. You must have 2FA turned on in your Apple ID.

Thanks. I'll need to setup the 2FA on my account. Can this auto unlock be done with iPhones too?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'll need to setup the 2FA on my account. Can this auto unlock be done with iPhones too?

It would be cool to be able to use the TouchID on my iPhone to unlock my Mac but the Apple Watch method works pretty seamlessly to me. The first few betas were touch and go but the last few betas have worked much better. Keep in mind, you need to be running watchOS 3 and macOS Sierra to be able to unlock with your watch.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Works fine for me.

Odd... It only works 10% of the time for me. I have tried turning it off and back on and still same success rate.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I can't have it working for me.... not even one time. All seem to be ok, but after 2/3 seconds my Mac prompts for the password. Frustrating.

iGlide

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I finally got it to work with my MBP but still hoping that my iMac will catch up and work as well. Same scenario too. not sure what happened but after a couple of days of trying, I woke up and it just worked!

Mbassador

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I had the inconsistency too. Rebooted every device (MacBook, iPhone and Watch) no change. When I switched off "Log Out after x minutes of inactivity" it worked consistently for me. Of course, it might have been a fluke...