Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Default Supported devices for Sierra. Or unsupported. Feel like ranting?

So, I was excited to see the release of macOS Sierra, but felt my excitement drop when I saw my device wasn't on the support list. A Macbook Pro 17" from 2009. However, Apple's supporting the Macbook from 2010, which has lower specs than my device. I rather wish there was a way to convince Apple to change its mind, but I also recognise my device is over five years old, which seems to be a magic number for them. (the 2010 Macbook line ceased production in 2012, less than five years ago).

Anyone else face this? I guess it's time to consider upgrading.

Default Re: Supported devices for Sierra. Or unsupported. Feel like ranting?

My MacBook is an early 2009 model, and I am utterly shocked that it can support El Capitan. In terms of technology, 7 years is 20, in my opinion, so to know that macOS will not support it doesn't bother me at all. It's an OLD laptop computer that is way past its shelf life. The hardware cannot take advantage of the things I'm sure macOS will bring, and although it runs El Capitan, it really shouldn't have been supported.
    pmconaway likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    My MacBook is an early 2009 model, and I am utterly shocked that it can support El Capitan. In terms of technology, 7 years is 20, in my opinion, so to know that macOS will not support it doesn't bother me at all. It's an OLD laptop computer that is way past its shelf life. The hardware cannot take advantage of the things I'm sure macOS will bring, and although it runs El Capitan, it really shouldn't have been supported.
    I'm in the same boat; my mid-2009 MBPro runs El Capitan, but it's slower than molasses. I would have loved to been able to revert back to operating system before (maybe even 2 versions before), but am stuck now. Where do you go to see which machines are supported and which one's are not when new operating systems are released?

Default Supported devices for Sierra. Or unsupported. Feel like ranting?

Quote Originally Posted by JakubRWrobel View Post
    I'm in the same boat; my mid-2009 MBPro runs El Capitan, but it's slower than molasses. I would have loved to been able to revert back to operating system before (maybe even 2 versions before), but am stuck now. Where do you go to see which machines are supported and which one's are not when new operating systems are released?
    System requirements can be found on the respective OS's "how to upgrade" page. Here's the one for El Capitan:
    http://www.apple.com/osx/how-to-upgrade/

Quote Originally Posted by JakubRWrobel View Post
    I usually get that information via Apple's keynote presentation, if applicable, the iMore Blog or direct from Apple's website.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Phillips View Post
    System requirements can be found on the respective OS's "how to upgrade" page. Here's the one for El Capitan:
    OSX - HowtoUpgrade - Apple
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    I usually get that information via Apple's keynote presentation, if applicable, the iMore Blog or direct from Apple's website.
    I see. Thanks guys!