Supported devices for Sierra. Or unsupported. Feel like ranting?

DragonPoo

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
So, I was excited to see the release of macOS Sierra, but felt my excitement drop when I saw my device wasn't on the support list. A Macbook Pro 17" from 2009. However, Apple's supporting the Macbook from 2010, which has lower specs than my device. I rather wish there was a way to convince Apple to change its mind, but I also recognise my device is over five years old, which seems to be a magic number for them. (the 2010 Macbook line ceased production in 2012, less than five years ago).

Anyone else face this? I guess it's time to consider upgrading.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My MacBook is an early 2009 model, and I am utterly shocked that it can support El Capitan. In terms of technology, 7 years is 20, in my opinion, so to know that macOS will not support it doesn't bother me at all. It's an OLD laptop computer that is way past its shelf life. The hardware cannot take advantage of the things I'm sure macOS will bring, and although it runs El Capitan, it really shouldn't have been supported.

JakubRWrobel

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
My MacBook is an early 2009 model, and I am utterly shocked that it can support El Capitan. In terms of technology, 7 years is 20, in my opinion, so to know that macOS will not support it doesn't bother me at all. It's an OLD laptop computer that is way past its shelf life. The hardware cannot take advantage of the things I'm sure macOS will bring, and although it runs El Capitan, it really shouldn't have been supported.

I'm in the same boat; my mid-2009 MBPro runs El Capitan, but it's slower than molasses. I would have loved to been able to revert back to operating system before (maybe even 2 versions before), but am stuck now. Where do you go to see which machines are supported and which one's are not when new operating systems are released?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat; my mid-2009 MBPro runs El Capitan, but it's slower than molasses. I would have loved to been able to revert back to operating system before (maybe even 2 versions before), but am stuck now. Where do you go to see which machines are supported and which one's are not when new operating systems are released?

System requirements can be found on the respective OS's "how to upgrade" page. Here's the one for El Capitan:
https://www.apple.com/macos/how-to-upgrade/#mn_p

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I usually get that information via Apple's keynote presentation, if applicable, the iMore Blog or direct from Apple's website.