I've been looking at the various MacBooks but don't know if they're for me.

I've got an iPad 2 at the minute but am interested in the MacBooks or possibly the iPad Pro.

I will be writing assignments and reading/downloading various books and papers. I've always used Microsoft and I'm not sure if my love for Apple should outweigh the practicality of Microsoft word.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you
    09-01-2016 08:32 AM
    For school I think you need a computer! Right now Apple is running a deal for 150 dollars off for students. Here's a couple blogs about it...

Best MacBook deals | iMore

Best MacBook | iMore

iMore Back to School Gift Guide | iMore
    09-01-2016 10:04 AM
    I've been looking at the various MacBooks but don't know if they're for me.

I've got an iPad 2 at the minute but am interested in the MacBooks or possibly the iPad Pro.

I will be writing assignments and reading/downloading various books and papers. I've always used Microsoft and I'm not sure if my love for Apple should outweigh the practicality of Microsoft word.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you
    The biggest deal breaker would be price. Macbook computers are known to be priced far higher than their similarly endowed Windows counterparts. As far as the operating system goes, there's no real disadvantages to either platform, it's more about what you are familiar with using.

I wouldn't consider the iPad Pro though. Considering the fact that you would probably need the keyboard which is another 100 to 169 depending on if you get a third party keyboard or the official smart keyboard.

Microsoft office is available on all platforms. However it's going to be far more usable on the Mac OS and Windows rather than on iOS.

Long story short, the iPad models that are currently available are great for many tasks, quick notes, keeping PDF files, using the browser to access various documents your university posts, scheduling and so on.

What they are not so great for is writing an essay. Granted I have written a 2000+ word essay using an iPad with a keyboard, It was more of a temporary use case scenario as I was doing a new install of Windows.

Hope that helps!
    pkcable likes this.
    09-01-2016 10:13 AM
    Most schools you can get a Mac at a discounted price.
    pkcable likes this.
    09-01-2016 12:58 PM
    Get a macbook is a good idea. You are going to want a laptop for when you get assignments and taking notes in class
    09-06-2016 11:46 PM