So angry!!!

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Just thought I'd come on here and share my anger with how bad Apple have been, I brought the 2015 MacBook 12" last year, this is my first ever MacBook and by far the most expensive apple product Iv brought. Late 2015 the keyboard keys started to feel spongy so a trip to apple Genius Bar they replaced the whole keyboard under warranty (would have cost about ?250). Now about 4/5 months later the problem has returned! It is now back in getting another keyboard fitted!!!! I asked as my warranty will run out soon what happens if t fails again, to my shock was told it will mean I pay for it!! I asked as its failed twice could you not extend the warranty even just for the keyboard ... They said no but you could buy Apple care,

So how I see it is Iv paid top money for a laptop that's broken twice in under a year, Iv had to take time out of my day twice, pay for petrol twice, parking twice, replace the protective film over the laptop twice (has to be removed for repair), be without a computer each time for a week, and then being left with the feeling I have to buy Apple Pay or pay the cost of a new keyboard if this happens again!!

Apple have been brilliant customer service every other time Iv ever had dealings with them but feel then dropped the ball with this one!!!

Just thought I'd have a moan.... Feel better now lol

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Nothing personal, but it sounds like Apple has done what you have asked for under warranty. When you purchased the MacBook, you should have known it only came with a 1 year warranty. This is why they offer AppleCare to extend that for you. And I can vouch that it is well worth it. I had an iMac that was in for repairs 5 times over a 20 month period that would have cost me well over $1000 in repairs after my warranty expired. They finally replaced my iMac. Was it worth the extra money, Yes. You have received great customer service from what I can tell, but Apple is under no obligation to do repairs after your warranty expires. My apologies as I can not agree with you on this.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If they're offering you AppleCare at this point you should purchase it. I had some slight discoloration on my MacBook Pro Retina display and was told they would have to send it out for repairs. As soon as I let them know I had AppleCare they replaced it on the spot and I even walked out with a newer model.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You're complaining about what has not yet happened! Maybe this fix, under warranty, will be the charm and there will be no 3rd time. AppleCare+ is great, but even then an issue can pop up after it runs out. You can expect expensive repairs with expensive devices. Just ask a Mercedes owner! Lol

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I understand your frustration. Hopefully this is the one that does it for good. As others have said, AppleCare is a good investment for a computer like the MacBook line(s), and gives you extra coverage which could come in handy down the road.

nekton123

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Since you use the word "petrol" you might be in the UK, which as part of the EU means that you actually have a 2-year standard warranty period under EU consumer law. Apple does not advertise this fact. If you are outside the EU then SoL.

jamielampert

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean the keyboard feels spongy? Are you sure you are not being overly sensitive? But yes if you want service outside of your 1 year warranty period you have to buy apple care.

mayconvert

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Buy the AppleCare.
You have 1 full year from the purchase date to get it.
People think apple products can't break. Wrong. They do, and often.
The idea behind Apple is if you want it, they will be there for you for 3 full years and cover repairs. ( not physical or water damage )
if you have apple care and have the laptop repaired for the same problem more than 3 times, they will replace the laptop with a new one.
(you might have to ask for that, you might not. depends on the employee you get)

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Buy the AppleCare.
You have 1 full year from the purchase date to get it.
People think apple products can't break. Wrong. They do, and often.
The idea behind Apple is if you want it, they will be there for you for 3 full years and cover repairs. ( not physical or water damage )
if you have apple care and have the laptop repaired for the same problem more than 3 times, they will replace the laptop with a new one.
(you might have to ask for that, you might not. depends on the employee you get)

My experience with Apple gear is just the opposite. I have never bought AppleCare and never would have had the chance to use it. Every Mac or IPhone or iPad I've owned has become obsolete because Apple quit supporting OS upgrades for them.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My experience with Apple gear is just the opposite. I have never bought AppleCare and never would have had the chance to use it. Every Mac or IPhone or iPad I've owned has become obsolete because Apple quit supporting OS upgrades for them.

I had it on my G4 iBook but that's it. Ironically, that was the only device I ever needed it for, so I was glad to have it. It was also my only Apple laptop, though I'm looking at a MBP soon.... will get AppleCare on it just in case. It's also more expensive than the Minis I've bought, but still less than the G4 Cube I had :)

bones467

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Just an update I now have a second keyboard in my macbook and was pleased with Apple service I received this time! The guy said he is pretty sure its cause of the new keyboard design it gets effected more by dust and grit than other keyboards so told me to get some compressed air, not sure if he just saying that but makes sense in my head, so far keyboard is fine but as most people saying its worth it think overtime and apple care will be done!

moseylevy

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Same issue here. They replaced my keyboard (by replacing the entireb bottom casing) and now its happenign again.
Keys stick, dont work etc.

Very frustrating.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
While I agree with your point of an item at the premium price Apple charges shouldn't break down so often in the first year...this is technology we are talking about. Things happen. And this situation is why Apple (and other companies) offer not just a one year warranty but the option to extend that coverage. We can't get upset when things like this happen. There are precautions to protect us. You just have to take those precautions. Get the AppleCare if they are offering. I was unaware you could do that after your first 30 days.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
While I agree with your point of an item at the premium price Apple charges shouldn't break down so often in the first year...this is technology we are talking about. Things happen. And this situation is why Apple (and other companies) offer not just a one year warranty but the option to extend that coverage. We can't get upset when things like this happen. There are precautions to protect us. You just have to take those precautions. Get the AppleCare if they are offering. I was unaware you could do that after your first 30 days.

'Nuf said....

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your keyboard issues @bones467. Its never nice to spend premium money on a product but then get average build quality on it. As others have said, lets try and be positive and say you won't have to replace they keyboard again. :) Taking out the Apple Care + plan is also a worth while investment if you feel your laptop is prone to having problems.

A friend of mine signed up to the Apple Care + and only 1 month later he dropped is phone and the screen cracked everywhere lol. It would have cost him around $460 to repair the screen but he got fixed for 'Free'. Sometimes its really worth it :)

Wish you all the best for your Macbook. Hopefully the keyboard is great from now on.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR