How long will a Macbook last me?

I

iMore Question

What is the average life of a Macbook? It wouldn't be worth it to me to get something that wouldn't last me at least three years.

Algus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Your mileage will vary but it is not uncommon to see people still using 2007-2008 era MacBooks today. While you can most certainly get a lemon, Macs are generally constructed of good material and stand up to wear and tear quite well. You don't want to be tossing the machine around of course but with care they can last many years.

If your use needs are minor to moderate (office work, media consumption, etc.) you can expect a Mac bought today to still function just as well in 5+ years. These tasks are so trivial on modern hardware that a Mac will easily be able to keep up with the software for many years to come.

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
People are still using MacBook Pros going back as far as 2008-9 that I can see on other forums. As far as receiving OS updates, any current Macbook or MacBook Pro will last at least three years and get updates past that.

I have a back MacBook from 2008 that still works. Apple quit supporting it as far as OS updates go with Mountain Lion and that's been 2-3 years ago. It still works but is slow compared to my 2015 15" MBP with 15GB RAM and it's SSD so it's been put away in the closet in it's box.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2010 MBP that I still use. I did upgrade the HDD to an SSD, then added the max RAM to make it super quick a couple years ago. It does everything and more I ask of it. Have never had a single issue with it. Running Yosemite without issues and it can run El Capitan but I will not upgrade as it will cause problems with my software.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Mine is a late 2011, but my mom is still using the 2008 white plastic MacBook I gave her when I got my MBP. That thing has never had any repairs or hardware upgrades.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine is a late 2011, but my mom is still using the 2008 white plastic MacBook I gave her when I got my MBP. That thing has never had any repairs or hardware upgrades.

I'm still using my early 2009 MacBook. It's on its last toe, but it's still chugging along...(laughing)

Last edited:

BunnyDeath

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
My 2008 Macbook Pro 17" is still running strong with El Capitan. I'm a designer and videographer. It's not my main machine, but it's great when I travel, at photoshoots, or whenever I need it. Runs all my creative apps, including the latest Final Cut Pro X without any problems. I did max out the RAM and I will be putting in a ssd this year.

I don't see any issues with expecting a Macbook to last 5+ years.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods