Is an early 2008 MacBook still worth it?

kazza295

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
So I have seen a black MacBook early 2008 for sale in a shop near me for ?200. Checking prices online this seems alright. It has 2gb of ram and from what I can tell it only supports up 10.7. Do you guys think this would be an ok macbook for me to use daily to do light tasks as well as try out Mac OS?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a MacBook early 2009 model with 4GB RAM and running OS X Mavericks v10.9.5. Although it runs Mavericks quite well, it's 3 months shy of being 5 years old. The one you're thinking of getting is almost 6 years old. We're both pushing the envelope, so to speak. Having said that, if you got the money to spare and you're not expecting to be using it to be upgradeable much longer then go for it, however, I recommend you spring for a new one, if possible.

kazza295

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I have a MacBook early 2009 model with 4GB RAM and running OS X Mavericks v10.9.5. Although it runs Mavericks quite well, it's 3 months shy of being 5 years old. The one you're thinking of getting is almost 6 years old. We're both pushing the envelope, so to speak. Having said that, if you got the money to spare and you're not expecting to be using it to be upgradeable much longer then go for it, however, I recommend you spring for a new one, if possible.

Definitely can't afford it I'm on a student budget. I might also look into getting a cheap MacBook Pro next year instead though

kazza295

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site

I ended up buying an early 2009 macbook like you have for cheaper than the one I was planning on getting. It's running absolutely fine on Yosemite with 2gb ram and a hdd. It's a bit slow here and there but overall it's a nice experience.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner