Should i?

jmendel33

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
So heres my question, im an avid apple user, wife and i both have iphones, we have 2 ipads and an apple tv, so the next logical step in a macbook, so my friend has a 13inch macbook, 2010 version he upgraded to 8mb of ram and a 1tb hd and the battery has only 50 cycles, is this a good investment for my first forray into mac computers? Will i love a mac as much as i love all the other apple products?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I, too, was hesitant about switching to a Mac almost 5 years ago, but that didn't last long...:)...It was awkward at first, but I wouldn't want to go back to using a PC now.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes i own a pc and have been a pc user for years, but everything else i own is apple, i love their products, this is just the last jump so to say lol

The transition between Microsoft based PC use and Mac use is going to be substantially bigger than that of other smart phones to the iPhone. Much of the muscle memory habits you have with Windows may make the initial switch a bit frustrating but push through it, you'll understand why people are flocking to these systems so often these days.

All that said, the 2010 model will be a fine machine to start out with...it has the internal specs to run the most recent OSX version and up to 2012, the machines still retained the ability to update the internals on your own without much muss or fuss. The only thing I would be hesitant on would be the processor since the sandy bridge processors (which were much improved) didn't come until early 2011.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
So heres my question, im an avid apple user, wife and i both have iphones, we have 2 ipads and an apple tv, so the next logical step in a macbook, so my friend has a 13inch macbook, 2010 version he upgraded to 8mb of ram and a 1tb hd and the battery has only 50 cycles, is this a good investment for my first forray into mac computers? Will i love a mac as much as i love all the other apple products?

If the price is right... go for it.

I agree, if the price is right, do it. 50 cycles on the battery is still brand new. I have 660 cycles on my MacBook Pro, and 86% battery health remaining. I switched back to Mac 3 or 4 years ago, and I couldn't be happier. I had a Dell Inspiron laptop running XP (I refused to use Vista) prior to my MacBook Pro, and the difference was night and day.

I use my roommates Sony VIAO laptop from time to time, and I now just find the whole PC experience frustrating by comparison. Waiting for boot up. Waiting for programs to open. Just general lag and stutter. He's completely wiped his hard drive and reloaded Windows twice in the year I've been living with him, trying to smooth out performance. He laughs at how impatient I am when it comes to his laptop doing, well, anything... but I'm just used to the smooth speed and reliability of Mac.

*Forgot to add: Worst case scenario, you end up not liking the Mac... resale value on them is very good. Depending on how good of a deal your friend gives you for the initial purchase, you might be able to make money if you end up selling it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77