Help! Liquid Spill!

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I was cleaning my MacBook (Unibody) and stupidly I put the bottle of rubbing alcohol next to it and it spilled! I shut it off and flipped over so the liquid would go out. I waited about 20 minutes and then rebooted. It started up without a hitch, but now the keyboard doesn't work and the trackpad is wonky. Any suggestions? I don't think putting it in rice would be helpful

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I was cleaning my MacBook (Unibody) and stupidly I put the bottle of rubbing alcohol next to it and it spilled! I shut it off and flipped over so the liquid would go out. I waited about 20 minutes and then rebooted. It started up without a hitch, but now the keyboard doesn't work and the trackpad is wonky. Any suggestions? I don't think putting it in rice would be helpful

SHUT IT OFF AND LEAVE IT OFF. Rubbing alcohol evaporates pretty quickly in the air, but in a closed/confided space, it’s still liquid and liquid and power don’t do your devices any good when combined.

Take off the back and let the thing air dry for at least a couple of hours... and since you already applied power, you have to face the fact that something could have gotten fried. Leave it off for a minimum of a couple of hours and let it dry.

FWIW, I have survived 2 spills on my rMBP... but opening the back, turning it off and LEAVING it off are incredibly important... let it dry out and be patient.

boovish

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Thank you. When I spilled it I was entirely freaked out. I should probably move it to the basement its always windy

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
It is generally recommended that you leave the machine off for 24 hours...if you're already experiencing issues with your keyboard as you described, the damage COULD already be done (and since the logic board is connected to the keyboard, once that is fried the computer is toast, and the repair is pretty expensive).

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Related question I've always wondered about: what's the best way to turn off a computer or iPhone after a spill? It seems like just that act would also introduce some sort of electrical event into the equation, no?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Related question I've always wondered about: what's the best way to turn off a computer or iPhone after a spill? It seems like just that act would also introduce some sort of electrical event into the equation, no?

I guess you have to just turn it off .. No special way but removing power from it if liquids touches a section that has power it could short it out.
With rubbing alcohol I would personally leave it off for a couple hours and blow a hair dryer to make it evaporate faster before turning it on.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

camino1982

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The same thing happened to me with a Sony Experia, only I spilled it with coffee. Unfortunately :(
Now I have an iPhone 5 and don't risk it anymore... found a site www.gadgetinsurance.com where I can insure it pretty cheap from theft and from my own clumsiness...:D

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73