Should Apple Have Continued Selling The Non-Pro MacBook?

Should Apple Have Maintained Its MacBook Line?

• Yes

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
According the the MacBook Wiki, Apple discontinued consumer sales of the MacBook in July of 2011. How many of you think that Apple should have continued selling the non-pro MacBook?

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
For the longest time I was mad because I wanted the white MacBook.

It would have been nice if they lowered it and sold it along side the air and pro

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
For the longest time I was mad because I wanted the white MacBook.

It would have been nice if they lowered it and sold it along side the air and pro

I hear you. It was indeed iconic, in my opinion. I was Blessed enough to snag one before it was discontinued. I also think it has a place among the Pro & Air version. Anyway, thank you for replying and I hope you have a safe & pleasant day, my friend...:)

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I wish they would have having gone shopping this weekend at Best Buy for a MacBook and of course my choice was Pro or Air and even though talking to a number of people that have 2009 models that are non Pro I would love to have that option now.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that there was no real price point to maintain it at once you figure in the price points for the Air, Pro, and Pro w/ Retina.

I'm not so sure, Karen. The base model was $999, I believe. I think they could have dropped it to the $799 & up range unless they felt it would diminish the sales of the MacBook Air that was being promoted at the time.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
According the the MacBook Wiki, Apple discontinued consumer sales of the MacBook in July of 2011. How many of you think that Apple should have continued selling the non-pro MacBook?

It might have been nice from a consumer point of view... but from Apple's, fewer products make managing inventory, supply chains, etc more manageable. Not sure there’s a huge difference, spec-wise between the MacBook and the entry level MBP... and as technology advances, the lines start to get real blurred.

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
It might have been nice from a consumer point of view... but from Apple's, fewer products make managing inventory, supply chains, etc more manageable. Not sure there?s a huge difference, spec-wise between the MacBook and the entry level MBP... and as technology advances, the lines start to get real blurred.

That's what happened. The MacBook and the 13" MacBook Pro basically shared the same internal components for the last 2 models of the White MacBook.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
With the way that technology is moving these days, it makes no sense for Apple to have 3 product lines where only 2 are needed. The MacBook Pro fills the line for full-size laptops and the Air works as a sub-compact. There's no need for Apple to continue using retail and manufacturing space for a third line that's not needed. You can get a Mac starting at $999, and considering the quality and abilities of the product, they shouldn't charge a penny less.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

wolfedude88

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
With the way that technology is moving these days, it makes no sense for Apple to have 3 product lines where only 2 are needed. The MacBook Pro fills the line for full-size laptops and the Air works as a sub-compact. There's no need for Apple to continue using retail and manufacturing space for a third line that's not needed. You can get a Mac starting at $999, and considering the quality and abilities of the product, they shouldn't charge a penny less.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

I would disagree with that as a consumer. I think they should charge less and I would like to have other options. Haha

But apple might not see it that way.

I mean honestly they could have made a lot more sells with a cheaper Mac to eat away at windows.

Look at what they might be doing with the iPhone.

A thousand bucks is still a lot of money for the majority of the people out there and that is main reason why more people use windows.

I mean imagine if they would still sell the MacBook and priced it at 699 or 799, that would make a big difference to a lot of people.

But alas I still understand their reasoning for not doing it. Maybe they were afraid it would cut into ipad sales or steer people away from the air or pro.

But still.....

Ps. I still the think white MacBook looks and works wonderfully.

mij9895

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Back in the early 90's Apple had many computer lines, the Performa, the LC series, the Pawer Mac, and the Centris/Quadra series. The latter was discontinued in 95, the LC series in 96, and the Performa died in October 97 after the return of Steve Jobs as interim CEO in July of 97. Ever since then, Apple has taken a conservative approach to how they market and release products so as not to release too many different computer lines. Now we only have the Mac mini, the iMac (which will never die), the Mac Pro, the MacBook Pro, and the MacBook Air. And don't be surprised that the MacBook Pro 13" & 15" get fully replaced by their Retina counterparts in the next few years as components get cheaper.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

ThaKrazyOne

May 16, 2012
Visit site
If any of you would like a MacBook, you should check CraigsList. That's how I got my White '08 and hella good price as well complete with box, restore discs and everything. Believe it or not still with the original battery and holding a 2-3 hour charge. Look around you might be surprised.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77