2012 13" MBP w/Questionable Specs. Need help...

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Hey, guys...I'm looking to buy a preowned 2012 13" MacBook Pro from a guy locally on Facebook Marketplace. It looks to be as-new cosmetically (as he said), and its not a Retina display model. I'm looking at it because I just need one for general duties around the house and don't need to drop $1500-2500 on a new model.

Here's what confuses me. I asked him to give me the specs, and he replied:

2.9ghz Intel Core i7 processor
8gb RAM
750gb hard drive

I'm ignorant of most things Mac...but the i7 processor sounds like a 15" MBP number, and I cannot find any 13" 2012 model of MBP that has 750gb hard drive. Anybody got any answers for that? Is he mistaken, or is this one a "loaded" model?

He was asking $650...but will sell it to me for $500. Is that a deal?

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Either the guy does not know what he's selling or something's fishy, in my opinion. Anyway, when you meet with him, have him power on the device and then maneuver to the System Information section to see the actual listed specs.

TLD1

Retired Moderator
Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Either the guy does not know what he's selling or something's fishy, in my opinion. Anyway, when you meet with him, have him power on the device and then maneuver to the System Information section to see the actual listed specs.

Yeah, D that was my plan. I can't find that configuration anywhere for the 2012 13" MBP with Retina display or no.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
and its not a Retina display model

That look like the retina model to me, did you mean to post this? I think the last non retina model was Mid 2012, since thats when Apple had the new design change.
https://support.apple.com/kb/sp649?locale=en_US

So...IF the specs are correct, does $500 sound like a reasonable price?

The top model with everything added in was (For NON-Retina)
2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
8GB of 1600MHz DDR3
750GB 5400-rpm hard drive

Yes, i would say thats a good deal. $500 is about right. Don't think you would find a better deal especially with those specs. Just make sure the charger is all good. That was one of the weak point for those laptops. Hope the sale goes well. Lets us know :)

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
I know this is a couple months old, but just wondering what the OP did and how it worked out. I just bought the exact same model, 2012, i7, for $500 and couldn't be happier. The battery is even in great shape and it has a new HD!

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought the same model myself the other day.

Then upgraded it to 16GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. It's a beast. Have a 400 GB Windows 10 partition and a 600 GB OSX Sierra partition.

I figure it's my throwback laptop -- one with a DVD drive and an Ethernet port, along with a bunch of other ports. Will try to have it last for the next decade for messing around with older stuff. Otherwise just use tablets and the like.

Battery is at 87% health, 145 cycles. The 2012 non-retina MacBook Pros were the end of an era, the last easily upgradeable MBPs. Although the new ones are stunning, there's something to be said for the open old ones.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
And yes, $500 was a good price. I spent much of last week trolling eBay for 13-inch i7s in good shape. Lost out on one, got the one I got (in my hometown, no less, so saved on shipping/duty). I paid ~US$600, given what the exchange rate is now.

The upgrade process was fun. Now I have a nice set of screwdrivers for delicate work.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
2012 13" MBP w/Questionable Specs. Need help...

When buying used off of someone you don't know, always run a hardware check on it. You can do this by powering up and pressing the "d" key. Make sure the MacBook is plugged in. It takes about 3 minutes to complete and it will let you know if there is any problems. Hope this helps

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711