Should I make the move to MacBook?

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13inch Retina 256 GB and everything is great. No problems at all.

I got an offer of $1000 for it and am considering selling and buying a MacBook. I don't need the horsepower of the pro and I love the size of the MacBook.. is there anything else I should consider before making the move?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You're going to lose a considerable amount power going to an M processor, for one. What kinds of things do you do with your MacBook Pro?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13inch Retina 256 GB and everything is great. No problems at all.

I got an offer of $1000 for it and am considering selling and buying a MacBook. I don't need the horsepower of the pro and I love the size of the MacBook.. is there anything else I should consider before making the move?

If it were me, I'd keep the current MBP, especially if "everything is great" and there are "no problems at all".

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I tend to agree, the only thing is that on occasion I will leave the laptop behind due to size, but it really isn't a issue

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I tend to agree, the only thing is that on occasion I will leave the laptop behind due to size, but it really isn't a issue

Since you already have the MacBook Pro I wouldn't go out of my way to get a MacBook. While it may serve your needs today the Pro will give you greater longevity.

If you're looking for something more portable have you thought about an iPad? I have a 12.9" Pro with a Smart Keyboard and it leaves the house WAY more than my MacBook Pro. I rarely feel like I'm missing out on something by not carrying around an actual notebook. I have a cellular model so it's a pretty seamless experience at home or away. Just another thought.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the M5 MacBook and top model Retina 15 (16, 1 TB) and have used the 12" MacBook far more than expected. I disagree with a lot who say it doesn't have enough power. I'm pretty sure I'm a demanding power user via my tech job and how often I'm running a Windows VM and several programs. It's done well.

As much as I have the big luxury model, I find it quite the luxury to carry very little computer because I'm constantly working in different locations and I travel an easy 3-6 times per year.

There are no rights or wrongs here except for me to point out that my 12" MacBook does not have the performance limitations I thought might happen, and that many seem to be wrong about how much the little thing can do.

I don't have the 13 Pro personally but have bought several and used them at work. They're the model most of my users get. They very much influenced my wanting the little and big one where my big one gets used less and less.

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I have the 9.7 IPad Pro and you are correct.. That can be my road warrior and the pro can stay back at headquarters

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have the 9.7 IPad Pro and you are correct.. That can be my road warrior and the pro can stay back at headquarters

Except an iPad is far from the general purpose computer you have with the MacBook. Owning the MacBook has had our iPad gathering more dust than the larger MacBook Pro.

lemony0

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
There isn't a big enough difference in size to justify the switch in my opinion. I'd be reluctant to give up the extra power but then again it's always exciting to get a new toy :cool:

bennu901

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I just exchanged my mb 2016 for an mbp13 inch , I loved the size of the mb but tbh its not that big of a difference from the mbp in terms of portability if thats your concern. I have the one with the touch bar and its only a 400$ difference (mbp 1699$ student edu) and you get much more Imo. So if your going to take the plunge I recommend the 13" mbp

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site

I would have to agree with @Just_Me_D and @Rob Phillips, there is no doubt that the Macbook is nice. It's thin profile and very light is a pleasure to carry around, but, you will not only be loosing a lot of power (which maybe helpful in a few years time) but also, losing a lot of ports. So #DongleLife

I would say even though the offer of $1K is a pretty good offer. I would keep your 2015 Macbook Pro. :D

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Life without a Mac... I took the $1000 and said that I would wait awhile and decide on what to get.... I am on day 2 and there is no way I can keep an IPad as my primary device.....Now the question is what do I buy?

I played around with the new Pro in the store and didn't care much for the touch bar , but I did notice that the size was much thinner and smaller. I was just goofing around because I was not in the market for a new one at that point and didn't check it out closely.

Past experience tell me that I will walk into the store and walk out with the touch pad version and spend about $2000 after a case and Apple Care... I think that I will wait a little bit and do some serious research on line and just order it that way..

I get caught up in the excitement of the store and it always costs me more than I planned. I will keep you posted on my decision and any thoughts on whether the MacBook or the MacBook Pro would bee the better choice for me would be greatly appreciated.

I wasn't thinking about the lose of ports or power (which I may need in the future) so your input has already helped me and I appreciate it

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
That I use the little 12" as my enterprise IT admin work station and that includes ports I say decide if you want the super light weight and slim size. Many months into it ports and power have been pretty much non-issues.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am happy with my decision to get the 13 in 2015 edition. I had thought about it for a long time. I got the ipad pro 12.9. Love it. Not using my HP. Reset it. Wanting to sell it
Still need a laptop for some things. Want all in Apple. Mac Pro got my attention. Done deal

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
Exactly one month today into my no laptop life. I am 100% on Ipad Pro 9.7 with keyboard. It is interesting to say the least. I have only found a few occasions that I was saying, Damn.. I wish I had a Laptop. I still am going to buy one, but I am surprised that I have lasted so long without one.

I am thinking of going MacBook because, I seem to be OK without anything and the size of the MacBook is enticing (as well as the money saved). Going to hold on for a little while longer and see how it goes.

anon(8910885)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I'd switch if you don't needthe versatility of Macbook Pro. You limit functionality by going to Macbook, but will gain much more portability and perhaps longer battery life, and options to choose another colour for a fresh look (if you're tired of silver)

RobertP1

Trusted Member
Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
I am typing this on my new MacBook.. It was the right choice for me and I love it. The thinness and battery life is amazing and the speakers are incredible. I have it in my backpack and hardly know I have it.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Switching to be complete Apple ecosystem I chose to go with Mac Pro. I am very pleased. Nothing subpar on my gadgets. Very pleased

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW