FileVault broke TouchID

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
On my MBP 2016, I had Touch ID enabled. I enabled File Vault on my startup disk. From that point on, I was never given the option to use Touch ID for activities requiring my password. It never appeared on the Touch bar. I tried turning Touch ID off and on, and also unchecking the options of where Touch ID is used and then rechecking them. I tried turning Touch ID off, turn off File Vault (took hours), then turn on File vault (again took hours), then turn on touch id with new fingerprints but it still never comes on. Boy have I wasted a lot of time on this.

Is there anything else I should try or does Touch ID just not work reliably with MBP and FileVault?

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes - automatic logins are disabled, and I have cleared out everything on Touch ID, turned File Vault off, then on, rebooting even more liberally than the poster said. TouchID works fine without FileVault. I wonder if they have disabled it with FileVault now in MacOS 10.12.3, they were on either 10.12 or 10.12.1 when that post was done. It definitely does not work, very frustrating.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyone? I am thinking more and more Apple broke or stopped the ability to add TouchID to an encrypted FileVault drive-based system.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73