MacBook Pro (with TouchBar) Battery Life

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Any MBP owners out there, NEW MacBook Pro owners (with TouchBar)... really curious to see what your battery life experience has been. Has it been better or worse than the previous generation? I doubt the TouchBar has much of an effect, and the battery has been improved in the new version, but still... super curious...

sd13

Feb 8, 2017
Visit site
I am curious to find out about the battery life of the 2016 touch model compared to the 2016 myself. Some reviews say the battery life is about the same. Others say the battery life is way worse on the new model. Like 40% worse. So if you get 10 hours on the 2015, it's 6 hours on the '16. That's what they say.

jdot104

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I just bought mine a couple of days ago. I know my daily usage hasn't evened out yet (still downloading lots of things regularly to set up the new machine) but what I've seen hasn't been that great. That said, it charges quickly and I like that I can use any port on it to do so. I upgraded from a 2012 MBP so I'm willing to get past the battery life as long as it isn't completely horrible. I'm also a big Chrome user, so I'm sure I could get more mileage if I switched to Safari. I've been considering it.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I am averaging 4-5 hours on the 13 inch touch bar macbook pro with intensive CPU usage which i think is fairly good considering. I am yet go through a full day with light usage but 8 hours at the very least seems achievable

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I just bought mine a couple of days ago. I know my daily usage hasn't evened out yet (still downloading lots of things regularly to set up the new machine) but what I've seen hasn't been that great. That said, it charges quickly and I like that I can use any port on it to do so. I upgraded from a 2012 MBP so I'm willing to get past the battery life as long as it isn't completely horrible. I'm also a big Chrome user, so I'm sure I could get more mileage if I switched to Safari. I've been considering it.

Hope it goes well for ya. Honestly it just seems like a few lemons are out there with bad batteries. I'm sure yours will be fine!

steron

Feb 27, 2017
Visit site
Using it since last month (MBP 13" touch), and all i can say:
When i only use it to browse (about 5-6 tabs in safari), watching youtube video, some microsoft office job, it can be around 9 hours, which is good enough for me.

And if i use it for Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC, it can goes to straight 6 hours more when finally reach a single digit battery life (about 3-5 % left).

willboyce

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
It's respectable battery life. Apple guy told me to super charge it overnight. Then run it down and fully charge again.
And never leave it just continuously on charge for days

1dtbrown

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I have a new MBP with 15" display and touch bar.

I have had it several weeks and I run a couple of programs that challenge the computing and RAM. I have had no problems running on battery during the day and on airplane flights and such. I plug it in at night and its ready to go the next day.

Best of all I got it for 500 dollars discount at Best Buy as a open box return. It came with a few scratches and a full warranty. It's a i7 and 16GB Ram. SCORE!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I just picked up a brand new 2016 model (15" with Touch Bar) and I've had it about a week. I pretty much hammer on it all day at work and I'm getting about 9-10 hours before having to charge (usually connect charger at 9%). However, the past few days I've been using an eternal monitor and I'm getting about 5-6 hours, again with constant use. I do see the 4gb radeon card power use when the external monitor is connected. I try not to leave the charger connected unless it's charging. I know on Dell Windows laptops if you leave the charger connected constantly the battery will never develop correctly and you get really poor battery life. Trying to avoid that with this laptop.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I have the 2017 15” with the 4gb Radeon Card. I haven’t noticed the battery going down that much but I haven’t used it that much that would drain it.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I just picked up a brand new 2016 model (15" with Touch Bar) and I've had it about a week. I pretty much hammer on it all day at work and I'm getting about 9-10 hours before having to charge (usually connect charger at 9%). However, the past few days I've been using an eternal monitor and I'm getting about 5-6 hours, again with constant use. I do see the 4gb radeon card power use when the external monitor is connected. I try not to leave the charger connected unless it's charging. I know on Dell Windows laptops if you leave the charger connected constantly the battery will never develop correctly and you get really poor battery life. Trying to avoid that with this laptop.

The Radeon MIGHT be drawing the power itself. What I’ve heard with moderate use you’ll get the 9-10 hrs. But when you push it your gonna get less. That’s the way it is. Enjoy the MacBook Pro and try not to worry. If you think there’s a problem than take it to the Apple store or call them up.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The Radeon MIGHT be drawing the power itself. What I’ve heard with moderate use you’ll get the 9-10 hrs. But when you push it your gonna get less. That’s the way it is. Enjoy the MacBook Pro and try not to worry. If you think there’s a problem than take it to the Apple store or call them up.

So far it's working great. From what I'm reading I'm keeping the charger on when I'm in the office and so far everything is ok.