My Macbook Pro 13 with Touch bar CTO is dead

mrdream

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I ordered my MacBook Pro 13 with Touch Bar on Oct 27, 2016 and delivered to me Dec 01, 2016.

Jan 23, 2017 - No Power what so ever - all of sudden.

Jan 24, 2017 Genius Bar Appointment. - took my laptop and told me 48 hrs to diagnose it.

Jan 26, 2017 - no call back and I phoned Apple Store and they told me it is dead and they have to order new one 6-10 days to get it and they will try to save the data.

Jan 30, 2017 - today I wanted to get the update and Phoned the Apple Store and they told me 7-14 business days to get it. (not counting the days I have been waiting)

Just saying for now no replacement parts are available and it is going to take almost a month to get the replacement.

I am returning for money now because I think this new MacBook Pro line is unreliable.

Need to decide new laptop... What to buy is my big question for now..

I had 16 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD with mine (No CPU Upgrade)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Unless you absolutely *need* a laptop NOW, I would wait. More than likely, Apple will provide you with a new one.

mrdream

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
yes Apple will replace my laptop if I wait another 15 days.

But loosing reliability is an issue - because they do not know what is wrong with it. if I get new one and few month down the road same thing happen - then I have to go through same process again.

I am looking at republished MacBook Pro 2015 version with 16G and 1TB or wait til 2nd gen Touch Bar version..

Luckily I did not sell my old 2012 MacBook Pro 13 - can use it for another few months..

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Since everything is soldered onto the logic board practically the whole thing needs to be replaced. If they cannot power it on I dunno how they will save your data.
It is IMO the biggest disadvantage of the new MBP. So many possible points of failure that essentially require you get a whole new laptop

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner