Macbook Pro 13" 2015 or 2016 BASE model

JoeyB1993

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

I'm having huge doubts so I figured to collect some second opinions.

Through work I'm able to buy a MacBook Pro at roughly 60% of the cost. Now I know for what I'm doing a base model will be enough for me as I'm doing everything on a 2011 MacBook Pro now with 4GB Ram and i7 (mostly Adobe CC and wordpress and such).

I'm having doubts to buy the base MacBook Pro 13" 2015 or the base 2016 without touch bar. A plus with the 2016 is bigger drive but I can also choose to expand the 2015 ssd with my purchase. This way they'll be almost the same price. Cons are off course the ports and the battery life. Ports wouldn't be a huge problem but I do not like the fact there are only two...

I'm just having doubts because I don't really think the new one is a better system, but it might be a better investment?

What are the opinions?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Joey

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
New devices have the benefit of getting updates for longer but in this case the space of a year won't impact too heavily on you.

I still use a 2007 MacBook on Lion for my photo management so it's all down to how you look after them.
In that case however I've upgraded the RAM and HDD to 1tb which you can't easily do on new models.

Personally in your case I'd look at the money side of things more than anything as both are good models.

JoeyB1993

Jan 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi dpscott,

Thanks for the advice! My 2011 mbp is having the well known GPU issues and the Apple repair program already stopped.
Because of this I'm rather forced to buy a new one. I really like the new design but that's almost the only thing that attracts me so I guess you're right. Do you have any experience or knowledge about using an 128GB SD next to the 128GB SSD in the 2015 mbp? If I could avoid the extra cost of SSD expansion this way that'd be verry neat!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
but I do not like the fact there are only two

I think this answers your purchase decisions :D

I personally would buy the 2015 Macbook Pro. Ports are quite important to me and i feel its silly to purchase an already expensive laptop and then drop another $100 on adapters just to make thing work. :)

The one thing i would upgrade is the RAM to 16GB (if you intend on keeping it for 5 years). The 128GB storage is on the low side but you can always move the less important stuff to an external SSD.

Battery life is also much better.

elcee_333

Feb 3, 2017
Visit site
Buy the 2016 base model. Better screen, better keyboard, better sound, faster SSD, lighter, smaller. Battery life on my base model MBP > 10 hrs, battery charges quick. Ports are not that important to me. Just use 1 dongle usb c -> usb a. But you can buy hubs, etc. USB C is very powerful. You will miss it on the 2015 model in the short future.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Buy the 2016 base model. Better screen, better keyboard, better sound, faster SSD, lighter, smaller. Battery life on my base model MBP > 10 hrs, battery charges quick. Ports are not that important to me. Just use 1 dongle usb c -> usb a. But you can buy hubs, etc. USB C is very powerful. You will miss it on the 2015 model in the short future.

I agree with all that, have had my base model for a week and its brilliant, I have a iMac 5K in my home office so got this for travel which I did this week and around the house, was thinking iPad Pro 12.9 256gb and keyboard but they are like nearly what I got this MacBook Pro for with a 10% discount, glad I got this the screen ration good and like the keyboard.
I set it up with iCloud not a back up from my iMac and use iCloud for photos synced with mu 7 plus so I have no dongle needed yet.

Gadget Man1

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Just pick one try it for a week, if you don't like it return it and buy the other one:)

I bought 2016 one mainly because if they are both around the same price, then I want the latest one.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I purchased the pro retina 2015 and couldn't be happier. It is my first and will suit my needs just fine. I have the iPad Pro 12.9 as well. Love them both

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro