MacBook Pro 2017

NatalieThomas89

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
Hi there. Hope you are doing good :)

I’m aware that the 2016 MacBooks are an epic failure at least with the battery life. So bought the 2015 MacBook Pro 15inch instead. Just heard that 2017 Macs will be out soon with new gen. Processor .

I got the 2015 15inch (512 SSD) with Intel Iris Pro Graphics for $2178.

Should I just return it now and wait for the 2017 one?
By that time the 2015 model will be out of production and available officially and only the not so good 2016 will be available along with the 2017 ones which I assume will be damn costly considering the price of 2016 models now.

Is it worth waiting for it expecting it to be good in all departments like the 2015 model incase I can max out my wallet to afford it?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if anyone can answer this question for you. If the one you purchased does what you need it to do and you're happy with it then keep it. If you can afford the latest and greatest and you're willing to wait then I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Do what is best for you. Nobody can make that decision for you.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Firstly, Welcome to iMore NatalieThomas89!

@Quis89 has some good advice. If you are happy with the 2015 model and it does everything you need it to, then keep it. it's got a 99.5 Wh battery so you will never get any bigger than that. (legally) Additionally its got all the ports you need and you don't need to spend extra on adapters. Which could run you near $100 depending on what you need.

If having the latest and greatest matters to you then wait. Otherwise, keep your 15" and enjoy it for the next 5 years :D

Gadget Man1

Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Well if Apple releases a next Gen in 2017 (which I doubt) then just sell your old one eBay, fairly new MacBooks sell very quickly on there. BTW battery life on my 2016 MBP seems fine to me.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
There is always going to be the new and the greatest. Tech can change asa quick as the blink of an eye. Just last week I purchased the retina 13 in Mac Pro retina and love it. I know there is a newer model out there but this one suits my needs.

willboyce

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I got the touch bar 15inch on Saturday. Did what I was told. And left it to charge over night. Next day took it off charge and ran it down to 5%and it took a while to drain. Lasted all day.
Then I did a full charge again.
I have no complaints with battery at all. Just as good as my old surface book if not better

HeyGreggie

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I got the touch bar 15inch on Saturday. Did what I was told. And left it to charge over night. Next day took it off charge and ran it down to 5%and it took a while to drain. Lasted all day.
I have no complaints with battery at all. Just as good as my old surface book if not better

Which specs do you have on your 15"?

COMMISSIONERHBK9

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
so I should let the MacBook get to 5 % each time then charge the MacBook?

willboyce

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes. Absolutely for the first week only. It's a lithium battery. So it cheats the battery into thinking it's a larger mah than it is. Then do it once a week. There after for best performance.
Some may disagree but in my personal experience with lithium batteries is that it works.
That first charge is the most important one you can ever give it.
Mine lasts 3 days of weak use.
And 1 half days roughly medium use
7 to 9 hours full use

anon(8910885)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I got a 15" macbook Pro touch bar for a day or two and returned it. The main reason for returning was the heavy price tag (512gb 15" costs almost $4000CAD), occasional bugs from unresponsive touch bar, and poor battery life. Maybe it's just me being picky, and I probably should've waited a couple days until spotlight indexing is done and finish updating softwares.. but from what I've seen from other reports, the smaller battery Apple puts in the 2016 MBP certainly affects heavy usage. If you use for light uses (web browsing, youtube, emails) then you'll most likely hit an all-day battery life but for heavy uses (video editing, gaming), the smaller battery will run out of juice fast. But if others have specific examples please chime in. I still haven't given up on this 2016 MbP though, because other than the heavy price tags, bugs, and battery life, I'm sure with time Apple will optimize this laptop, through many software updates. And, it's really a sleek laptop with amazing build quality.

If you do need one right away at this moment, keep 2015 one for now. It's safer and solid. If you want that 2016/2017 design and don't mind waiting, I would wait for at least the 2017 one. They're planning to upgrade to a more power efficient Kaby Lake processor (improve battery, yay!) and possibly..MagSafe!

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I've gotten excellent battery life from my 2016 15" MacBook Pro. I realize that many people have had issues with it, but I couldn't be happier. I know that Apple has issues some updates that supposedly fix some people's problems, but after the initial sync (I gave mine a couple of days before I started paying attention to battery) mine easily will last 8-9 hours, which I think is great.

I'd never go back to a prior 15" model because they seem so bulky now. The new 15" is like carrying an older 13" to me and the size and weight is fantastic. I was in Best Buy recently and I walked over to the Apple section and they had an older 15" model. No way I'd ever go back to it.

anon(8910885)

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I've gotten excellent battery life from my 2016 15" MacBook Pro. I realize that many people have had issues with it, but I couldn't be happier. I know that Apple has issues some updates that supposedly fix some people's problems, but after the initial sync (I gave mine a couple of days before I started paying attention to battery) mine easily will last 8-9 hours, which I think is great.

I'd never go back to a prior 15" model because they seem so bulky now. The new 15" is like carrying an older 13" to me and the size and weight is fantastic. I was in Best Buy recently and I walked over to the Apple section and they had an older 15" model. No way I'd ever go back to it.

So you did notice an improvement after couple of days. I didn't wait and returned it, thinking it was the poor battery life. How was battery life at first when you got it? Ah I should've just waited. I agree with you on the weight factor, the old 15 MBP is bulky and the design seems dated. I'm picky on the design and weight because I'm planning to update from a really portable Macbook Air. I like the new design of MBP especially with space grey!

Last edited:

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
So you did notice an improvement after couple of days. I didn't wait and returned it, thinking it was the poor battery life. How was battery life at first when you got it? Ah I should've just waited. I agree with you on the weight factor, the old 15 MBP is bulky and the design seems dated. I'm picky on the design and weight because I'm planning to update from a really portable Macbook Air. I like the new design of MBP especially with space grey!

Yes, definitely. The first couple of days I wasn't too pleased. But after the 2nd day I noticed a massive improvement and since then I don't see really any difference between this one and my 2014 15" MacBook Pro. It lasts easily all day. I was also a little concerned with how I'd adjust to the keyboard as well. I have to say that I absolutely love it. I am so fast on it now and using it is such a joy to type on. I also really love the individually lit keys of the keyboard as you don't have all that crazy light bleed on the older ones. Also love the huge trackpad, the shrunken bezel and the beautiful screen.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
so I should let the MacBook get to 5 % each time then charge the MacBook?
I wouldn't advise that. Letting your battery drain that low isn't very good. I would definitely say fully charge your Macbook before you use it for the first time. But after that, try to keep it above 15%, preferably 20% to keep your battery working nicely.

I've been doing this with my Macbook Pro for 6 years and I still get 3+ hours of use now :) which is great, considering it lasted 7 hours brand new.

donawalt

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I have a 2016 MBP and a 2013 MBP. I am very happy with the 2016. At first, I could not stand the keyboard, I was making typing mistakes all the time - it took twice as long to type with it. But after awhile, what I realized was the keyboard is designed to help you type faster once you get used to it - I don't know what it is, the keys are flatter, more responsive, which makes it prone to mistakes. But now, I fly when I type with it, no mistakes at all. It is really the keyboard I am most productive with by far.

Second point, the Touchpad is so much better than the 2013. It is (maybe not perfectly accurate description) thinner and more responsive, this 2016 MBP is the first laptop I have gotten rid of my mouse entirely! I know I am a mouse-neanderthal joining the new world, I just could not do my work without a mouse prior - no more! Best touchpad ever.

Third point - I use Zoom for remote video conference calling a lot, and previously did a lot of it on a pretty nice Windows HP laptop for work (a ZBook 17). This week I used my MBP 2016 for a work conference call for the first time, and wow - the colors are so good, the pictures were so clear of the videoconference-connected people. It was quite a pleasant experience and a definite upgrade to the HP laptop.

Last - with regard to the Touchbar, I like the concept, I use it some, but I am still not accustomed to looking at it much yet. I like using it for TouchID and Escape key mostly. I think I'll get more used to it over time as apps really start to take advantage of it better.

My conclusion is the MBP 2016 is a great laptop. While I would love to see a faster better model this year, the 2016 really is a job well done.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I was a "trackball neanderthal" until I started using my wife's 2010 MacBook Pro. WOW!!!! It is unbelievable how far Apple is ahead of other manufacturers.

I may wait for the 2017 versions to come out. My biggest conundrum is whether to get the 13 or 15". I love the 15 which seems to have the footprint of a 14" laptop.

Posted via the iMore App for Android