Should I get new 13 macbook pro touchbar or surface pro 4 i7?

4_life

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
Hi I'm new here.

Short story, I'm going to upgrade my laptop and I end up into 2 choices that might suit my need. Those are MacBook pro 13 touchbar or surface pro 4. MacBook pro that I want is i5 touchbar version with 512gb and 8gb of ram, it cost about $1850 at best buy. While the surface pro 4 that I want is i7 version with 256gb and 16gb of ram priced $1800 at bestbuy, it will be $1920 plus the type cover.

I'm going to use the machine for office task, browsing, coding program, and editing in photoshop and lightroom. I saw some review about touchbar that seems kind of interesting in the future. Also I found out that touch on surface pro 4 can bring a big help in accuracy while editing in lightroom, photoshop, and also in some art apps with pen support.

Just wondering maybe some of you can give me advises, before that I clear first that this is not a mac vs win thread, I just want to know what're you thinking. Just feel free to give me your thoughts.

Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Both devices are more than capable of handling the things you've mentioned so it boils down to economics and features. The Microsoft machine has more RAM, which is always a benefit, built the MBP has more storage space. Which is more important to you? Furthermore, the MBP is $50 more. How important is that to you? Are you heavily invested in one of the two ecosystems? Just food for thought while you ponder your decision.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi I'm new here.

Short story, I'm going to upgrade my laptop and I end up into 2 choices that might suit my need. Those are MacBook pro 13 touchbar or surface pro 4. MacBook pro that I want is i5 touchbar version with 512gb and 8gb of ram, it cost about $1850 at best buy. While the surface pro 4 that I want is i7 version with 256gb and 16gb of ram priced $1800 at bestbuy, it will be $1920 plus the type cover.

I'm going to use the machine for office task, browsing, coding program, and editing in photoshop and lightroom. I saw some review about touchbar that seems kind of interesting in the future. Also I found out that touch on surface pro 4 can bring a big help in accuracy while editing in lightroom, photoshop, and also in some art apps with pen support.

Just wondering maybe some of you can give me advises, before that I clear first that this is not a mac vs win thread, I just want to know what're you thinking. Just feel free to give me your thoughts.

Thanks.

Welcome to iMore 4_life!

Well you are in the iMore forums so you most likely going to get people promoting the Macbook over the Surface Pro 4. That being said the higher RAM capacity will greatly help you with performance. So based on those specs the Surface Pro 4 would be your best choice. Especially when using coding programs like Android Studio and using editing programs like photoshop and light-room. However, this is iMore and i cant recommend a windows laptop so easily like that without coming up with an alternative haha ^_^

I personally would recommend the 2015 Macbook Pro 13". Simply because of all the extra ports. You can still get your 512GB storage and i5 Processor but can bump the RAM to 16GB which will be great for the same price.

4_life

Jan 7, 2017
Visit site
I personally would recommend the 2015 Macbook Pro 13". Simply because of all the extra ports. You can still get your 512GB storage and i5 Processor but can bump the RAM to 16GB which will be great for the same price.

How much this configuration will cost?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I was tired of PC always lagging on me as well as not a fan of windows 10. I preferred 7. I just recently purchased the Mac Pro 13 retina 2015 and I am really enjoying it. I am all into the Apple ecosystem now and not looking back. It is personal preference.

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Hi 4_life,

Can I ask, why is it that you're looking at different configurations for those two? For the MBP, you're looking at an i5, why are you looking at an i7 for the SP4? I assume, if an i5 is good enough for you, then you can stick with the i5 on the SP4 as well, and save some money.

The other question you have to ask yourself, is whether there are any apps that you need, that aren't available on either platform.

I suggest you check out the Microsoft Store as welll. The SP4 is currently regularly discounted. The only downside with the SP4 is that the SP5 is likely due soon. But then again, you won't get the same savings on the SP5, when it comes out.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox