Thoughts on a second charger?

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I'm going to purchase a second charger for my 13" 2016 MacBook Pro, one that will stay at my home office desk, so not that fussed about size, packaging or portability.

a) Apple charger

b) A good quality third party charger

c) **but** I'm also trying to drive a 28" Samsung 4k monitor at 60Hz, so perhaps a docking station that has a charger might be the more cost effective solution.

Anyone have ideas?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Go with an Apple charger. I'm not saying a 3rd-party charger wouldn't work, but since you're buying one for your brand new 2016 MBP, why risk it?

Last edited:

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
So I think I'll most likely go with the OWC Thunderbolt 3 docking station, in Au$ they are about $400 (when they come out that is) and this will deliver a charger (for the Apple wall plug and Thunderbolt cable this is approx Au$140 alone), will also drive my 28" 4k monitor at 60Hz via display port, allow me to 3.5m jack into my speakers and have plenty of other I/O.

All this from a single cable from my laptop.

Also still looking at the options from Belkin and Eligato, anyone got other things to check out?

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting for the Arc Hub.

https://www.bourgedesign.com/

And as far as chargers go...

ALWAYS buy Apple OEM chargers. Even if they are labeled as such and the price is too good to be true, it most likely IS! Lot of fakes out there. These are not only a risk to your Apple hardware, they can be a risk to your personal safety! I don't want to spend $80 for that little white box any more than anyone else but paying less than half and think you're getting a bargain when you could be risking life and property surely isn't worth it!

IMHO of course.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
@CTX6 I'd jump on the Arc Hub, if only it supported HDMI 2.0 (hence 4k @ 60Hz), as it is only 1.4b it doesn't (I'm guessing because it doesn't actually use Thunderbolt, just USB 3.1). I know that the DisplayPort does, however if I needed to drive two monitors at some point (I suspect I might), this would be an issue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73