2015 vs 2016, 13in vs 15in

lylyoo

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site
Finally I have the finances and will leave my 2010 13in pro this week to get me a new one. I know this question has been asked several times now probably but I depend on the developing experiences on 2016.

I'm a graphic designer and I travel abroad every now and then with my laptop and this was the reason I got 13in in the first place. I have been happy with the mobility but it is small after all. I need to know; how is 15in when you have to travel with it? Not only for abroad but also in cafes, sometimes in the car, plane, etc, what do you think?

Also, since the price for 2015 in way better and 2016 has some mixed reviews about battery life, which one do you think is a better investment, considering I want to use it for another 4-5 years. I know 2015 is solid and good, but is it going to be too outdated after some time?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
We bought both the 13" and 15" models of the 2015s this year and I'm very happy with both. Have no reason to believe they won't be viable for a long time.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
My advice is to go to an Apple Store and hold them yourselves. Power wisely understanding the 2016 are about the same. So what you are getting is the size (and trackbar). Be sure to try out the keyboards. The 2015 have the classic awesome Apple keyboards, but I like the new keyboard a lot too. So it is really about size and feel. Find a place to go and try them out side by side. They are all awesome computers, can't go wrong no matter what you get.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Finally I have the finances and will leave my 2010 13in pro this week to get me a new one. I know this question has been asked several times now probably but I depend on the developing experiences on 2016.

I'm a graphic designer and I travel abroad every now and then with my laptop and this was the reason I got 13in in the first place. I have been happy with the mobility but it is small after all. I need to know; how is 15in when you have to travel with it? Not only for abroad but also in cafes, sometimes in the car, plane, etc, what do you think?

Also, since the price for 2015 in way better and 2016 has some mixed reviews about battery life, which one do you think is a better investment, considering I want to use it for another 4-5 years. I know 2015 is solid and good, but is it going to be too outdated after some time?

Welcome to iMore! :D

My personal favourite is the Macbook Pro 13" 2015. I think here you will be getting the best value for money. Its got nearly the same size battery as the 15" inch version for 2016!. I also like it simply because its still got all the current ports i need and i don't have to spend upwards of $100 just to allow me to connect my "standard" computer mouse with a "ancient" USB connector.

That being said, if money was no object, i would go for the 2016 Macbook Pro 15" and only upgrade the GPU to the 460. Is so gorgeous to look at but definitely not worth the $2500 (with upgraded GPU)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I've used my 15 inch on a train with no issues but it is big. I do appreciate the extra power and screen real estate. Haven't used it on a plane but have seen people do it but don't know if they were feeling cramped or anything.

Snoweagle

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I'd take a 15" anytime, hence my 2015 MBP and ex-2010 MBP are all in 15". The extra graphics juice and screen size for Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom jobs are a lot appreciated.

The current 2016 model wise, the Touchbar is a very cool addition but battery issues reports have been intermittent. For me, I just don't like the removal of Magsafe and all becomes USB-C ports.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2