First impressions/thoughts on 2016 MBP w/ Touch Bar

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I thought I’d take a little time to share some first impressions and thoughts on my new MBP. I bought the Space Grey 13 inch w/ Touch Bar, 2.9 i5, 512GB storage, and upgraded the RAM to 16GB. To give some insight, my former MBP was a late 2011 15 incher, upgraded screen resolution, 750GB HDD, and I believe 4GB RAM. Most of my comparisons will be with it.

Just to start off, I love the overall footprint. I keep my MBP on my nightstand next to my bed and having a laptop so small gives me more room to keep my Apple Watch and iPhone 7 Plus there while charging. I do occasionally miss the extra screen real estate, but the smaller footprint is a worthy trade off in my opinion. The machine is really well built with no tolerances, weird creaks, or extraneous detail. The Space Grey color is beautiful, but a true black would’ve been even better. I personally don’t mind the lack of a glowing Apple logo because I never saw my old one lit up anyway. Raising and closing the lid is smooth and flawless. If anything I almost wish the lid were heavier because it feels too easy. The trackpad is better than ever. I love Force Touch and the larger size hasn't caused any problems for me yet. Do I really need the extra real estate it gives? Not really, but it's not a negative either.

The display is something to behold! When viewing my new MBP next to my older one, the colors pop without looking artificial, text is nice and clean, and it is plenty bright. I have mine set on the 1680 X 1050 resolution. There really isn’t much more to say about the display other than it’s great.

Now on to a couple of the more controversial elements: the keyboard and Touch Bar. Some people say they love it, some hate it. I feel fairly indifferent for a lack of a better word. It’s more shallow than my former MBP, but the keys are larger with more stability. It only took a few days for it to be comfortable to type on, but I’m still making more errors than I did on my last MBP. They are getting fewer and fewer however, and my speed is back to normal. I’m honestly surprised how much of a difference the individually lit keys make. There’s no weird light bleed coming from the keys. In a brightly lit room it’s not that noticeable, but in a dim or dark room it’s a much more pleasant experience. The Touch Bar itself looks nice and Touch ID is unbelievable to use on this computer. It’s so fast, and so much more convenient than typing a password. I hope it gets more widely used in the future so I can log into all websites just using my fingerprint. I’ve honestly never been a big user of Function keys so the lack hasn’t been a big deal for me. The new volume and brightness sliders are ridiculously cool to use though. I hope they actually bring the way they work over to iOS. I haven’t really delved to deeply into the rest of the Touch Bar as of yet. I almost forget that it’s there honestly. It took my almost a year to fully embrace 3D Touch on my 6s Plus, so I’m sure I’ll take further advantage of it in the future.

Another controversial bit of hardware is ports, or lack there of. I guess the best way to put it is that it's been a mild irritant. It's not so bad that I've had to go out and buy a hub or a ton of dongles (I really hate that word btw). I will buy some new cables in the future though. A USB-C to Lightning and a USB-C memory card reader is probably all I'll need. I haven't decided yet if I'll buy a new backup drive or get an USB-C to A adapter for my current drive, but it'll just stay plugged into the drive itself either way.

Battery life hasn’t been an issue for me yet. With work being busy, and getting ready for the holidays I haven’t had a ton of time to do any battery tests for myself. Just browsing Safari on the couch and menial things of that nature. I’ve yet to have time to edit any photos or do any heavy lifting to put it to the test. It’s much better than my old MBP, but it’s five years old with a spinning hard drive so that’s to be expected.

The software has been working well for me so far. I haven’t run into any major issues. At first I wasn’t sure if the Bluetooth was having problems whether it be hardware or software related. I couldn’t for the life of me get my iPhone to pair with it. I was worried about Continuity, Handoff, and Universal Clipboard not working because they wouldn’t connect, but I spoke with an Apple Care rep and was assured that they don’t actually need to pair for that. As long as they’re on the same network w/ Bluetooth on they can interact with one another. This little beauty is blazing fast compared to my last MBP as well. The SSD boots in no time, and even just browsing in Safari feels like so much less of a chore than before. This is the first Mac I haven’t even bothered installing Chrome on because Safari is so fast. Siri works just as well as on my iPhone and better than my Apple Watch as far as understanding me, but I’m missing some of the personality of Siri on iPhone.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!!! If you have any questions, ask away and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Typically, I'd skim over something this long, but your post was written excellently. Thank you. In fact, you've gotten me a tad "interested" in getting the new MacBook......Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on it and have a very Merry Christmas. Take care.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Typically, I'd skim over something this long, but your post was written excellently. Thank you. In fact, you've gotten me a tad "interested" in getting the new MacBook......Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on it and have a very Merry Christmas. Take care.
Thanks! That means a lot. ��

I was worried that it got too long to read, and I didn't even get to touch on how much better the audio is.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Just opened mine tonight. Battery seems good. The most important for me was running Dragon dictate. And it runs it great! I7 with 16 of RAM. Much, much faster than my old MacBook Air also i7 with 4 of RAM. The USB C work great with dongle for everything I've needed. Not having mag safe makes me nervous.

kale.parisian

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the post! It's refreshing to see someone take a stance that isn't love / hate.

I'm currently using the 2012 15"MBP which still performs really well for me. In the new year I'll be building a PC and depending on my experience with Windows I may or may not be choosing Mac for my next laptop!

I really love the simplicity, design, and integration that Apple brings to their ecosystem, but lately I've been having a hard time justifying the price.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Thanks for the post! It's refreshing to see someone take a stance that isn't love / hate.

I'm currently using the 2012 15"MBP which still performs really well for me. In the new year I'll be building a PC and depending on my experience with Windows I may or may not be choosing Mac for my next laptop!

I really love the simplicity, design, and integration that Apple brings to their ecosystem, but lately I've been having a hard time justifying the price.

I honestly thought about going with Windows this time around. I think Windows machines have come a long way. However, when I customized the Windows laptops to the specs I wanted the price difference wasn't that much. In some cases the Windows laptops were actually more expensive than the MBP I bought. Plus the integration goes a long way with me personally. I'd also need to learn a new OS with Windows as I haven't used Windows very much since the XP days. Overall sticking with Mac was the best option for me.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Well having the mid 2015 (all maxed out config) next to the maxed out 2016), both 15" I have to say the display on the 2016 hits it out of the park with brightness and color! Looking at the screen on the 2015 (which I'm typing this on now) it appears sterile compared to the wider gamut display.

The keyboard isn't as big of an adjustment as I have a 12" macbook and have adjusted to that. I actually like it TBH.

My biggest gripes are the battery life compared to the 2015 (no surprise there) and the lack of a mag safe.
Only having USB is a non issue because there are adapters that can provide everything one needs in ONE device.
Now if they only had ONE USB-C like the 12" Macbook, that would have probably started a war. ;)

One thing that would also be nice is a dock. Having a flush type connector on the bottom that would be able to charge, supply 10G ethernet, USB ports, displayport, HDMI, VGA, card readers, etc. That would be nice. And have the option that it can stay attached to the base if one likes. Problem is with some of those ports it couldn't be slice thin, but doable.

The HUGE trackpad is a bit weird and it does physically move when pressed near the edge in the middle but it doesn't appear to be an issue.

I'd say nay to upgrading over the loaded mid 2015 however the display is the most important part to me and this (IMHO) justifies the cost of upgrading alone.

philrodo

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to get used to the new keyboard and touch bar on my new 2016 MacBook Pro 15"...

I tend to bang the keys pretty hard, so the lack of sponginess on this keyboard is hard on my fingers and my touch-typing is more error prone for some reason...

As to the touch bar, how does one go about expanding what is shown on the touch bar display? For example, when I'm typing and tap on the emoji "button" on the touch bar, it defaults to the Frequently used, but only displays a few of the emojis in that grouping. Scrolling to the right of the touch bar, doesn't show the other emojis that are also included in the Frequently used collection. Same with the other emoji groupings--only a few of the emojis show up on the touch bar. So how do you get the touch bar to display all the emojis under each grouping?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm trying to get used to the new keyboard and touch bar on my new 2016 MacBook Pro 15"...

I tend to bang the keys pretty hard, so the lack of sponginess on this keyboard is hard on my fingers and my touch-typing is more error prone for some reason...

As to the touch bar, how does one go about expanding what is shown on the touch bar display? For example, when I'm typing and tap on the emoji "button" on the touch bar, it defaults to the Frequently used, but only displays a few of the emojis in that grouping. Scrolling to the right of the touch bar, doesn't show the other emojis that are also included in the Frequently used collection. Same with the other emoji groupings--only a few of the emojis show up on the touch bar. So how do you get the touch bar to display all the emojis under each grouping?

Press the emoji button, then press and hold the chevron on the frequently used button. From there you should be able to scrub through the different categories (Animals, Activity, Travel, etc).

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Does it get hot on the bottom? I had a 12" for 5 months when they came out but sold it for a 27" 5K iMac for my home/office, might get a 13" for travelling and around the house as i don't really see the value in iPads anymore.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
My 13 2026 MBP doesn't get hot doing safari and normal things. I use Dragon dictation on Firefox and that gets hot. But that is a very CPU intensive program. Why get a MBP? I still think the MacBook Air is a better cruising around computer. I don't really notice the MBP screen is that much better (I admit I'm not a screen snob). The shape of the air is better to hold. It has MagSafe. I'd go and feel both at an Apple Store. And the MB air can go up to i7 and 8 RAM - not a beast but not too shabby for normal stuff.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
Does it get hot on the bottom? I had a 12" for 5 months when they came out but sold it for a 27" 5K iMac for my home/office, might get a 13" for travelling and around the house as i don't really see the value in iPads anymore.

Is a heat problem the reason you got rid of your 12" or did you just need the extra power of an iMac? I'm only asking b/c if you're just looking for something for around the house, and you've already got the power when you need it from a desktop the 12" MacBook seems like a better choice. The completely maxed out 12" inch is a grand cheaper than I paid for my 13" MBP w/Touch Bar. I really like my 2016 MBP, but use it as my only computer. If I had a desktop as well I would've just gotten the 12" honestly.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about all that!
The 12 is a good travel companion.
But it's noticeably laggier than any mbp for sure!
And yes my 2016mbp gets quite toasty in the middle of the machine.
Installing and patching xcode, while it was the fastest I've seen, made it quite warm.
Apple has the leash tight on the fans, but you know after the near hair dryer experience of my 2015 fully loaded mbp, I'm ok with that.

Cladster

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Is a heat problem the reason you got rid of your 12" or did you just need the extra power of an iMac? I'm only asking b/c if you're just looking for something for around the house, and you've already got the power when you need it from a desktop the 12" MacBook seems like a better choice. The completely maxed out 12" inch is a grand cheaper than I paid for my 13" MBP w/Touch Bar. I really like my 2016 MBP, but use it as my only computer. If I had a desktop as well I would've just gotten the 12" honestly.

I had the version 1 but the top 512gb model, no it didnt get hot but i found it slow and the wifi strength weak, also for my desktop the screen was just too small. It was the only mac machine i have not been happy with, and have had 2 x 27" iMacs, 1 x 21", 2 x 15" Mbpr and 2 x 13" Mbpr in our house.
The reason i asked is the 15" i did have and the 2 x 2013 13" we now have do get warm on the lap.
Might just get a iPad pro :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
I had the version 1 but the top 512gb model, no it didnt get hot but i found it slow and the wifi strength weak, also for my desktop the screen was just too small. It was the only mac machine i have not been happy with, and have had 2 x 27" iMacs, 1 x 21", 2 x 15" Mbpr and 2 x 13" Mbpr in our house.
The reason i asked is the 15" i did have and the 2 x 2013 13" we now have do get warm on the lap.
Might just get a iPad pro :)
My old white 2008 MacBook, my 2011 MBP, and especially my first Mac (a 1999 iMac Special Edition DV) would get hot. I haven't noticed my 13 inch 2016 get even warm yet. Of course I've not been pushing this one very hard yet, so it may get toasty later on.

My only reasoning in recommending the 12 inch MB was just that you wanted something as a secondary machine. If you don't need the extra power it could be a cheaper alternative. A 12.9 inch iPad Pro would be even more affordable though, and the screen is slightly larger. I'd like to have one, I just have no reason to justify buying one.