Buying New MacBook Pro from another person.

ElenaCanada

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
So, I've found someone selling the MacBook Pro 2016 Base that I would like. It's not ridiculously cheap, but I would be saving a significant amount compared to going to the Apple Store (considering tax and everything also).

Everything seems to be okay with him. The MacBook is opened box, but the computer hasn't been used and the plastic is still on the laptop. He got it as a gift but would rather have the touch bar model, so that's why he is selling. He has all receipts and everything and was willing to meet at an Apple Store if I wanted to get them to check things out. He wants to write up a bill of sale for both our benefits, so I'm not too concerned about his own reliability.
What I want to know is if there is anything I can do to verify once I meet him? Like any recommendations from you guys to look at. Or could I get an Apple representative to check things over, do they even do that?

Thanks for any input!

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
Well, my first question would be if it was a gift to him and he wants to upgrade then why isn't he returning it to Apple? If it's new within return window what is standing to gain selling to you?

You mention saving money so why would they lower the price to sell personally.

Then why offer to go to store with you? If they want upgrade and are wiling to go to store they should return and exchange.

None of it makes sense. Just buy it from the store yourself. Doesn't add up in my book.

ElenaCanada

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
He opened it and then decided he would rather have the touch bar model. You can't exactly return it opened. Him and his sister both got one , and she used hers, then decided. He opened his and the realized he didn't want that model either.
Why do you think he would be okay with the Apple Store checking it over for me if there was something not right? That was was made me think it was okay. The fact he would go and meet there.

ElenaCanada

Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
And he has to give some sort of discount off retail. He got it as a gift, so it's not like he personally is losing money. It was free to begin with. Am I missing something?

anon(10101748)

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
And he has to give some sort of discount off retail. He got it as a gift, so it's not like he personally is losing money. It was free to begin with. Am I missing something?

Well you seem to be answering your own questions so why even ask?

You can return opened and used for some items within the return window at Apple, people returned iPhone 7 and got iPhone 7 Plus a week later after using it?

But so you know...if he returned an opened box but unopened/unused item he indeed would only be charged a restocking fee especially if returned within the appropriate window. Apple can tell by various ways if it is just open box or if it was used.

I'm certain the restocking amount is less than the discount you are being offered.

Either way good luck. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. The only way this makes sense to me is if he is outside his return window so it basically cannot be returned. If that's the case then maybe I'd be more trusting. Like the person could have bought it a few weeks ago and then gave the gift and now it can't be returned. Ask to see the gift receipt so you can see the date of purchase. Get the serial number and call Apple for DOP.

I'm still skeptical, but hey...I like everything new. Like I unseal the box.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73