How is Battery life on 2016 Models?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Not according to Rene Ritchie..... from MacBook Pro 2016 review: The love/hate future of laptops | iMore

As for battery life, despite the difference in specs, Apple claims the same 10 hours for all the new MacBook Pros. So far that's matched my usage. I was juggling the three at a time to get this review done, though, so that's nothing approaching a normal pattern.

I normally do some things on iPhone, iPad Pro, and iMac as well, so I never spend all day with my MacBook. Still, I charged it to 80% the first week, went to the coffee shop, worked for 4 hours, and it ended up at just under 40% with the non-Touch Bar version. With the 15-inch Touch Bar, I worked for a few hours and, surprisingly, was told I still had 11 hours left (I'm chalking that up to how hard it is to properly predict future usage.)

I work in Final Cut Pro X and not Premiere, though, and use Safari and not Chrome, and I have a feeling that saves me significant burn. Still, editing video and keeping multiple tabs open is harder on the charge than typing text, checking email, and surfing the web. So, a pro machine has to bring it.

I'll keep testing and keep updating over the next few weeks.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Is it true that the battery sucks on the new MacBook!! Any body who got the 13 inch with touch bar how long the battery is lasting??

There have been people reporting battery life much lover than 10 hours. Some even around 4 hours. But i think for the majority of people, battery life is in the 9 hour range. especially if your brightness is at 50%. Ive heard from some that the 13" model without touch bar lasts for up to 12 hours.

Joel Breiner

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I bought the 13" with the touch bar and have been using it on a trip the past few weeks. Coming from a 2014 15"MBP that has excellent battery performance I'm initially disappointed in the battery life experienced so far in this new machine. I have gotten no where near the 10 hours advertised after the first dozen or so charge cycles. I'm doing nothing exotic or stressful to the machine aside from reading and responding to email and basic stuff. I'd really like to know the experiences of others with this version machine insofar as the battery performance.

donnation

Trusted Member
Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
I picked up the 15" Model recently and I am very pleased with the battery life. Upon setting it up it was horrific, but I knew I was going to have to wait for everything to be indexed. I'm about a week in and I easily get 9 hours on mine. I'm not sure if there is something causing some models to have poor battery life but I couldn't be happier with mine.

Hup55

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I love the battery life on my new 15" MacBook Pro! I've only had it for a few days but have been using it extensively. using Final cut pro a few times does tend to use the battery but again still amazing laptop and battery life.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
In experience battery life has been a bit lower than I expected. with normal usage I get about 6-8 hours. If I do anything remotely extensive then it drops dramatically. I think the only time I got over 10 hours was when I was binge watching Dr. Who with wifi and bluetooth turned off, screen brightness to around 40%. Don't have an exact time but I got through 10 episodes and half of the eleventh. Standby time on the other hand is amazing! I can leave it at 100% come back a week later and still it'll still be fully charged
If the update this year can provide me with a significant upgrade n battery life then I will sell my current one.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I just piked up a brand new 2016 MBP 15" Touch Bar. This is my first Mac laptop but so far the battery lasts about 8-9 hours of continuous use.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2