Tell me why I should get the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
LONG time MacBook Pro user here, since the 17" days. Still rockin' a MBP (15" - 2016 model). But tell me this... for those that have made the switch or those that are considering the update, why should I update to the new MBP with Touch Bar?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
You shouldn't if you're accustomed to or simply prefer using traditional function keys and if you need ports other than the two provided USB-C ports.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Still rockin' a MBP (15" - 2016 model)

Doesn't this mean you already have the MBP with Touch Bar? ;) I've been going back and forth on this. As I'm typing on my current MBP (late 2011 15" with 16 GB RAM and 512 SSD), does it make sense for me to upgrade? The Touch Bar has potential, but not much useful support for it at the moment. Battery life would be way more improved, direct connection to my Nexus 6P and 5X (take that, iPhone :p), and any future USB-C compatible devices, lighter, improved display, better graphics, larger pad, nicer keyboard (potentially...will try it out at an Apple Store of Best Buy). But, there's #donglelife, no more MagSafe (unless a 3rd party comes up with a USB-C + MagSafe solution), no more glowing Apple logo...because I'm vain like that. :D

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I have not used the touch bar. I don't know which of the MacBook pros from the 2015 13, non-touchbar 2016 13, touchbar 2016 13, the 2016 15, or the 2015 15 is best! What made me feel better is Joanna Stern of the WSJ said she couldn't decide either. She has reviewed a lot a lap tops. He touchbar is interesting, and she raves about the fingerprint log in. But with that $300 more, instead you could get the non touchbar upgraded with 16 RAM or go to i7 from i5. You might be happier with those upgrades. And if power matters more than weight and battery life - the 2015 and 2016 are equally powerful! (And have the old style keyboard!). Right! How could anyone decide?

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

I'm so stoked. My BTO 13 inch w/ Touch Bar finally got charged, so it must be close to shipping finally!!! Just hoping my iTunes/Photos libraries will transfer over from my current MBP. I can't update to Sierra b/c my hard drive has SMART errors.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm so stoked. My BTO 13 inch w/ Touch Bar finally got charged, so it must be close to shipping finally!!! Just hoping my iTunes/Photos libraries will transfer over from my current MBP. I can't update to Sierra b/c my hard drive has SMART errors.

I hear you. I'd be stoked, too. Anyway, let us know when it arrives and by all means, enjoy it......Take care.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods