MacBook Pro vs Surface Studio

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
It is interesting. In the MacBook Pro Apple made a computer to fit the needs of 95% of pro users while in the Surface Studio Microsoft made a computer for 5% of pro users. Apple is getting creamed for a device that some users say doesn't fit their needs, but no one is talking about all the people that the Surface Studio l isn't good for. It just seems unfair. Of course, some users won't like certain devices. No one computer will suit all needs. Why does Apple get beaten up about it, and no one else does?

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I think the use cases are different for each one. The more proper comparison (if we're talking Surface products here) is pitting the Macbook Pro vs the Surface Book i7, and the iMac vs. the Surface Studio.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Totally. But what I was comparing was the media response to each October release. Everyone talked about the MacBook pro's faults, but it seems that no one talked about the Surface studio's faults. Both have limitations and strengths that the buyer would need to consider.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Totally. But what I was comparing was the media response to each October release. Everyone talked about the MacBook pro's faults, but it seems that no one talked about the Surface studio's faults. Both have limitations and strengths that the buyer would need to consider.

Well, I think because the Surface Studio has a more niche audience, while the MacBook Pro is on the other end of the spectrum, not to mention more visible in advertising (ie: Surface Studio commercial? Where?), it's going to warrant alot more scrutiny.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
It's become really common for Apple to be judged differently than their competitors especially in the tech media. They were the tech darlings for so long that they're getting some backlash now for every little thing.

hero11

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
It's the first Surface Studio so for once there is no comparison to previous models. I also think comparing a PC to a laptop is more difficult.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
What are the Surface Studio faults?

I just listened to Leo Leport on Windows Weekly and he said it was underpowered. He had a 5 second delay loading each picture in Lightroom. It is also amazingly expensive, even more than the iMac. I also don't like the space between the top of the screen where you write and where they writing appears. Deal breakers, certainly not. I'm am sure it is a dream computer for some users. It just seems the reporting around it has been breathless, for a device that I don't think will suit many people's needs.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I just listened to Leo Leport on Windows Weekly and he said it was underpowered. He had a 5 second delay loading each picture in Lightroom. It is also amazingly expensive, even more than the iMac. I also don't like the space between the top of the screen where you write and where they writing appears. Deal breakers, certainly not. I'm am sure it is a dream computer for some users. It just seems the reporting around it has been breathless, for a device that I don't think will suit many people's needs.

Well said. It's a cool design but Microsoft is very new to the hardware game and appears to still be sorting some things out. $2,999 for it is ridiculous. It's almost like they purposely overpriced it to capture some of the creatives that were upset about the last Apple announcement.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Well said. It's a cool design but Microsoft is very new to the hardware game and appears to still be sorting some things out. $2,999 for it is ridiculous. It's almost like they purposely overpriced it to capture some of the creatives that were upset about the last Apple announcement.

Overpriced it to attempt to overvalue it. If it's $3,000 it must be good!

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Yes the right comparison. I've just provisioned all but the Studio for some of my users. All are happy - very happy.

They're all great products and I didn't care what writers, bloggers or arm chair directors said. They're first tier products in a market with few first tier providers.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I've always thought as Apple as making technology for everybody. With the Apple II, the Mac, and finally the iPhone - people who could never use computers could use them. I know that Microsoft's goal was a computer on every desk - but they never really seemed to be designing Windows for regular people. The Surface Studio also doesn't seemed designed for regular people - it is designed for illustrators and architects. I guess by being the MacBook Pro it isn't designed regular people either, but the decisions they made make hard core users unhappy to make it usable to a wider audience . I think that the people who think and write about technology are more excited about the super geeky - like the original Surface and Google Glass. Both the iPhone and iPad were released to skeptical reviews. And I get writing that Apple is releasing another amazing product doesn't make for gripping reporting. And the 2016 MacBook Pro makes some choices - new keyboard, only USB-C, touchbar, max 16GB of RAM that are very real problems for some users. I admit I own neither - but I don't know anyone who could use a Surface Studio as it was intended at 20 degrees. But I can't think of anyone who couldn't use a MacBook Pro in their life as it was intended to be used.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, that Surface Studio is extremely niche. I feel Microsoft positioned it as their "halo" device/hardware. So, I don't think the expectation when they designed it is to make alot of money from selling it, but instead feature what they could do.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Studio display blows anything else out of the water, bar none. And it's the most important part as it's what you stare at for hours and hours. ;)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Studio display blows anything else out of the water, bar none. And it's the most important part as it's what you stare at for hours and hours. ;)

I don't care how it looks if the rest of it is garbage :) Not saying that's what the Surface Studio is as I have no experience with it... you can paint an old car so it looks good but if the thing runs terrible it's not going to be better than a good looking car that's smooth as silk.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2