For me, to be honest, only the macbook airs and the 2015 macbook pro 15 inch have fair prices (if you get a good deal at a reseller), the rest in my opinion is just overpriced and just not worth the money.
    But you always have very good reselling prices that you can get if you want to sell your old one
    11-22-2016 06:20 AM
    Well... It's Apple! Plus, their design is pretty unique.
    11-22-2016 07:55 AM
    I think it's simply the logo n name...you see it and your mind tells you, that's for the rich n famous...must be a good brand. lol
    I couldn't disagree more. Apply is not like Sony back in the 90s. Sony made products that were no better in build quality or durability, but charged more because they had "Sony" on the side. Same with Nike. But Apple's extra cost directly results in a better build and longer lasting quality.
    niharikasarma likes this.
    11-22-2016 08:03 AM
    You get what you pay for. With other PC vendors, you can find some machines that offer slightly higher specs at a lower cost, however that is the only thing you're getting. With Apple products, you get an updated optimized OS that will perform great in real world tests (specs on paper don't mean everything), as well as amazing build quality that will last you years, amazing customer support and a great resale value.

I've owned many PC's since the early 90's, (Dell, HP, Acer, Toshiba etc etc), as well as custom built rigs. Nothing comes close to an Apple product. The little extra you pay is far worth it.
    11-22-2016 02:16 PM
    Or you could buy a MacBook and bootcamp it with windows. I seen the $300 book on YouTube and it's HUGE. Not for me though.
    11-22-2016 04:36 PM
    you're not just buying the product though. Apple products come with top-notch after-sales support
    11-22-2016 05:03 PM
    I agree that the products are fairly expensive but that's why there are contests available or payment plans. I would suggest apple products to everyone as they really are awesome. Had my phone and laptop for about 6 years now and works well still to this day.
    11-22-2016 06:01 PM
    you're not just buying the product though. Apple products come with top-notch after-sales support
    what about their new Apple Book?
    I mean what make it price $300
    is the apple brand worth $300?
    11-23-2016 02:52 AM
    What's an Apple Book?

Apple prices their products where they are confident people will pay for them. Apple has never been interesting in being a value brand. This pricing model obviously works and I doubt it will change much. They have a certain profit margin that they don't want to go below. If the new MacBook Pro cost Apple more to produce than previous models it will be reflected in its sales price. And yes, you're paying for the brand as well. Whether it's worth an extra $300, as you stated, is up to the individual. Many would argue that it is.
    11-23-2016 05:55 AM
    Wondering if you can get AppleCare plus on the apple book.
    11-23-2016 07:52 AM
    The Book you refer to (officially called "Designed by Apple in California") is a high-end coffee table book. It's actually not out the norm for a high end book like this to sell for a couple hundred dollars. It's an extremely niche product meant for "super fans" of the Apple brand, but it's not exorbitant.
    11-23-2016 08:57 AM
    Truly, you get what you pay for. At some point that may no longer be the case and they will struggle with the prices they have and may drop it, but quality does it.

I say that as a once PC enthusiast and I was seriously annoyed by Apple prices, but having been a Mac user for a few years now, I am completely onboard despite the price points, the experience is top of the line.
    11-23-2016 09:43 AM
    Because the brand name I guess and I got an android phone before and now I switched to an Iphone because I think that the processor of Iphone is really great and fast which is what I need and it's the best thing that I've ever done in my life.
    11-24-2016 03:58 AM
    Its a number of factors really...first there's obviously the component costs themselves. Then there's all the R&D, manufacturing, logistics, etc. Those costs all add up, but as you mentioned, are on par with others laptops. However, you then need to factor in build quality, design, and overall performance, which I think lifts Apple above other competitors. Finally, there's supply and demand. The demand is high and the supply is low, therefore, you have higher prices. Combine all these together and you get pricey laptops.
    11-24-2016 09:14 PM
    I'd recommend doing a comparison based on Microsoft Surface Book v MacBook Pro. I know they are a little bit different, as one is a detachable tablet, however for me here in Australia, it helped me to justify the price of the MacBook Pro.

The other vector for me, is that my last laptop purchase was a MacBook Air 13", that is still going strong (but not strong enough to avoid an upgrade this year), that is 5+ years of daily use (I travel quite a bit with work, so it's had a hard life). I expect to get a similar duration out of this new hardware, and I've never had that with any PC based laptop in the past.

PS - This was typed on my 24 hour old MacBook Pro, that I love, they keyboard is far better than I was hoping, for me it's dam near perfect.
    Awesome you love the keyboard. So many people struggled with the 12" MacBook keyboard, I was worried. I tried a MacBook Pro 13" at the Apple Store and found the keyboard quite good, but not as good as the MacBook Pro 2015 15" that was right next to it.
    11-25-2016 01:51 AM
    I agree. I'm glad to hear the keyboard is good.
    11-25-2016 08:15 AM
    Also, premium brand and huge fan and customer base add to that too. I think they also charge apple tax or its called luxury tax. In India they add that, don't know about others. Also, depends upon where do you live, some countries have more VAT, import duties too.
    11-25-2016 08:34 AM
    I buy Apple products because they last incredibly long. I don't like switching tech often or upgrading often. If it works, don't fix it. Apple works great with my philosophy so I don't mind shelling out extra bucks for the devices I buy.

However, I don't think Apple would be nearly as expensive if it wasn't for the Apple name. I can't speak for the U.S, U.K., etc. but in India... Apple devices are a sort of status symbol. I have many friends that chose to buy the iPhone 5S rather than get a newly released Android phone of the same cost.

Also, I hate to discriminate against my own gender, but girls in India love Apple. I have a friend who uses an iPhone solely because the selfies are 'to die for', apparently.

Apple sells it's products, but just as much, it sells an image. You can't buy one without the other, and end up paying for both.
    BD_BB_8520 likes this.
    11-25-2016 08:51 AM
    I can't speak for the U.S, U.K., etc. but in India... Apple devices are a sort of status symbol.
    It's the same here in the US.
    11-25-2016 12:49 PM
    Honestly given how much time most people spend using their computers complaining about a few hundred bucks over 2-4 years seems kind of silly. You also don't get the sexy unibody design or macOS with whatever piece of junk windows pc is half the price.
    11-25-2016 07:06 PM
    It is true that Apple makes a profit on each device sold. My understanding is that many PC Manufacturers only make a profit on the crapware and many android phone makers are making no money on their phone business at all. Apple is the most profitable company in the world, now, so clearly could cut the costs. I think Apple institutionally remembers when they almost went broke and were only saved by a $300 million loan from Bill Gates and Microsoft. They know that the iPhone is selling great now, just like the Apple II and early Mac sold great - but there was a lull between those two, and the great lull after Mac until the iMac or honestly the iPod. Apple thinks it needs to make profit now, for the time when iPhones don't sell like hot cakes. And that time will come. And those billions will keep the company alive while they try to reinvent themselves again.
    11-26-2016 01:46 AM

Because when buying an apple product we don't buy just the product but we buy also services.
    11-26-2016 03:51 AM
    There's an important question about iPhone, specifically: as long as Apple swear it, the company doesn't make money selling our data to third party companies. That is what Google does with Android, openly, so it can offer system freely to manufacturers. That is what FB does openly too, so it can offer its services freely as well. Apple doesn't do that, or at least it swears it doesn't do. So, the idea is, if you like privacy, pay more for your device and sleep better. I really don't know if I really believe in this logic, but between a company who says it doesn't sell my data, and another who openly admit and defend this kind of business, I feel obligated to choose first one, even paying more. That's one of the main reasons to use iPhone instead of Android, for me. And that helps to explain the Apple's products high price bar, at same time.

Cheers,
    Rob Phillips and MasterDarque like this.
    11-26-2016 05:04 AM
    I just came from WP and Android and I was curious about this same question. I found one very valid reason. I entered the iPhone world with a 6s Plus bought from eBay against my better judgement. I took it to the local Apple Store in Gilbert, AZ and a young lady sat with me and went over it in great detail. She tested the hardware and software. She found that the mic up top and the main speaker at bottom failed the test. My mood changed to worry and she said she would take it in the back and clean out both ports and see if it helped. It did and it passed all tests. I spent over 30 minutes with her and it cost me zilch. That support does not come cheap. There were about a dozen Apple people running around helping people with problems, answering questions and yes, sell new phones.

I now know one very large reason their hardware and support costs. I think it's worth it.
    Read this one more time. I know for a fact that a Windows store or the Samsung counter in Best Buy doesn't normally offer this or take the time to do anything close to what I had happen at the Apple Store. Now balance this with the quality of hardware Apple products and the continuity of upgrading to the latest IOS from many generations back. Again, quality and continuity cost money. Think about that.
    11-26-2016 10:59 AM
    I mean, you pay for the quality of the materials and the durability. It is expensive? Yes! But it's a worth price to pay.
    11-30-2016 04:21 PM
51 123