After 32 years of wanting one, and never being able to afford one, I plan on getting a Macbook Pro 13" next week (the older model) at Best Buy. What are the major issues I can expect moving from Windows/Linux world to MacWorld? And compare the Macbook running os/x to mint linux (which I run on my little HP i3 laptop). Using the rather bullet proof linux os will I be disappointed with the Mac OS/X? Since it is not Linux, do I need to get an anti-virus program and something like Malware Bytes for OS/X?
    M_A and mrjayviper like this.
    11-18-2016 08:13 AM
    Congratulations on getting your new MacBook. Having said that, get into the mindset of doing things differently in comparison to how things are done on a Windows PC. Some things will seem awkward or downright stupid, initially, but after a while, they'll become second nature.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-18-2016 08:17 AM
    After 32 years of wanting one, and never being able to afford one, I plan on getting a Macbook Pro 13" next week (the older model) at Best Buy. What are the major issues I can expect moving from Windows/Linux world to MacWorld? And compare the Macbook running os/x to mint linux (which I run on my little HP i3 laptop). Using the rather bullet proof linux os will I be disappointed with the Mac OS/X? Since it is not Linux, do I need to get an anti-virus program and something like Malware Bytes for OS/X?
    I had a windows Laptop for 10 years. Was happy with it. Purchased a Macbook Pro in 2011, never looked back. Love it so much.

With Anti-virus, its always advisable to get some. While your risk may be lower than a Windows users, there are still some out there.

If you play games a lot, you may not have the same titles available.

There are no major issues with the laptop. They are gorgeous to hold, use and look at. ^_^
    11-18-2016 08:34 AM
    I've been a long-time DOS/Windows user myself (DOS? What's that? ), and outside of using a MacIntosh and PowerPC while in school, didn't own anything Mac related until 3 years ago when I picked up a late 2011 15" MacBook Pro thru my previous work at the time. At that company, everyone was using MBP's or Airs, so I got hooked. I've maxed out the RAM (to 16 GB), and upgraded to an SSD, and it's still going strong today.

Yes, though viruses aren't as commonplace compared to Linux/Windows, I would still recommend getting one as a precaution. I'd also recommend getting a VPN too when you're at a public wifi location. If you still need to run something in a Linux or Windows environment, you could dual boot via Boot Camp. I don't use my MBP for gaming much...I let my console and Android devices handle that.

Congrats on the purchase, and enjoy!
    11-18-2016 09:38 AM
    I've dipped my toes in linux here and there (most recently on the release of Ubuntu 16.04 and other variants like Suse/Linux Mint/etc) and Linux distros doesn't give me a "cohesive" experience compared to OS X.
    11-19-2016 02:12 AM
    How about software compared to Windows/Linux? It looks like the Mac App Store is a good idea. Can I go "full terminal mode" if I desire?
    11-20-2016 09:56 AM
    I found the transition from Windows to Mac (and Ubuntu to Mac) surprisingly painless when I made the move 5 years ago. There were definitely things I had to learn, but a real game changer for me was the quality of the software available. There are some truly great Mac apps out there if you look, particularly if you're a writer.

Also, I've just always found Mac hardware a pleasure to work with. People sometimes sneer at the idea of buying a laptop for the aesthetics, but the fact is I spend most of my day looking at and touching a laptop. Attractive industrial design and quality materials / screen make a real difference in day-to-day experience. A lot of Windows manufacturers are making beautiful machines these days, but five years ago when I made the switch that wasn't the case.
    11-20-2016 09:21 PM
    Hope that the purchase is worth the wait, I made the transition from Linux / Windows self build and old laptops in 2011. I now go to great lengths to avoid using my work issued Windows laptop, instead using my nice new MacBook Pro as a BYOD device (Windows makes a daily appearance in VMWare).

Yes it's a fair bit of money, but in terms of saved time (zero build or support time), increased productivity (less fiddling), long lasting (5+ years and still going on my MacBook Air) and better resale value throughout the ownership cycle, it delivers value and in my view offers real value.

But the best bit, I need my laptop to work, because it is my work (and a fair bit of my private communications and storage), and I do travel quite a bit. The ability to take my MacBook to any Apple Store or Authorised repair centre on the planet and get any hardware issues resolved is fantastic.

But I do understand that it's hard to step away from sticker shock and think bigger picture, especially in a world where you can get perfectly serviceable $300 laptops.
    aximtreo likes this.
    11-21-2016 10:28 PM