View Poll Results: Which should I get?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPad Pro w/ Keyboard

1 25.00%
  • MacBook Pro 13" - No Touchbar

3 75.00%
    My main needs for a computer are portability, web posting, and occasionally presentation to a group. Would I be better off with an iPad Pro with keyboard or a MacBook Pro. Help me out everyone!
    unati_u likes this.
    11-11-2016 08:56 AM
    Do you need the speed and power of a MBP? Do you need to connect a wired external display?

If not, at that point, you'd be better off with the 12.9" iPad Pro with the smart keyboard. (The smallest MBP is 13.3", so the screen size is pretty much the same).
    11-11-2016 09:20 AM
    I sold my tablet cause it was useless. Tablet was more like a toy for me, I decided to go for macbook pro 13.
    11-11-2016 02:23 PM
    I like my tablet but I use my Macbook far more, so I'd go with a Macbook
    11-11-2016 10:14 PM
    Macbook pro with touch bar would be great. Already have the iphone.
    11-11-2016 11:23 PM
    My main needs for a computer are portability, web posting, and occasionally presentation to a group. Would I be better off with an iPad Pro with keyboard or a MacBook Pro. Help me out everyone!
    Macbook Pro 13" (2016) OR iPad Pro

Portability ✔
    Web Posting Ability ✔
    Presentations Ability (+ Dongle) ✔

I personally would go with the Macbook Pro. Simple because it runs a full desktop OS vs. a mobile OS on a big screen.
    11-12-2016 04:11 AM
    Seems like a 12" MacBook would be great from you. It's really portable
    robertk328 likes this.
    11-12-2016 07:11 PM
    ipad pro
    11-12-2016 07:36 PM
    I know there's a lot of votes here for the MBP but from the sounds of it I think you'd do just fine with an iPad Pro. It sounds like it'll do everything you need it to do and certainly gives you the portability you're looking for at a much cheaper price. One thing you might want to consider is storage space in the iPad if you do accumulate a lot of files for those presentations.
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    11-13-2016 08:09 AM
    I know there's a lot of votes here for the MBP but from the sounds of it I think you'd do just fine with an iPad Pro. It sounds like it'll do everything you need it to do and certainly gives you the portability you're looking for at a much cheaper price. One thing you might want to consider is storage space in the iPad if you do accumulate a lot of files for those presentations.
    I'm in agreement with you...
    11-13-2016 08:15 AM
    I own both devices and the iPad pro works great for me on the go I have the 4g model and don't leave home without it.
    11-13-2016 09:32 AM
    I'm definitely worried about running iOS vs macOS.
    11-13-2016 02:32 PM
    I have both and my iPad Pro gets way more use. Get a Smart Keyboard and try it out for a week or two. If you feel like the iPad Pro isn't meeting your needs then return it within the 14 day return period and get a MacBook Pro. I think you'll be fine though.
    11-13-2016 04:21 PM
    What is worrying you? It's a different interface but with cloud storage it's easy for the majority of users to overcome not having a traditional file system.
    11-13-2016 04:23 PM
    For those uses, seems like an iPad Pro would be sufficient.
    11-13-2016 04:40 PM
    looking at the needs, I suggestion the ipad pro
    11-13-2016 05:27 PM
    Though the iPad Pro is getting closer to the capabilities of the Mac, I would feel more comfortable with more advanced application features as well as a file system on the iPad Pro. I'd go with the MBP.
    11-13-2016 09:49 PM
    The MacBook Pro would fit all your necessities.
    11-14-2016 01:53 AM
    macbook pro is one of the powerful laptop today. it will serve you well plus the newly added touchbar. if youre just editing your photos and playing games, face time and dont need for the extra things a mac can do, go for the ipad pro. but it doesnt mean ipad pro is just like a regular ipad. there is a thing that macbook pro cant do that an ipad can: you can use the display as your drawing pad using a apple pencil. for artists and for those who write all the time. ipad pro is your best bet
    11-14-2016 05:59 AM
    100% mbp. If you're really concerned about portability go for the 12" Mac but I bring my 13" mbp everywhere and the slightly larger dimensions are simply not a problem. Plus, the mobile OS is just awful compared to Sierra.
    11-14-2016 06:17 AM
    Yeah the MBP would win every time...because it can do everything that an iPad pro can do but the reverse is not true.. As far as portability is concerned, a few more grams and inches shouldn't be much of a problem I think...go for it. Unless, of course cost is a factor...
    11-14-2016 08:15 AM
    What is worrying you? It's a different interface but with cloud storage it's easy for the majority of users to overcome not having a traditional file system.
    Hmm...You just can't do a lot of things on iPad Pro and cloud service is not the best choice:
    1. Cloud storage costs additional money if we are talking about icloud
    2. 3rd party CS apps, like Mega, have problems with saving and opening files on the device
    3. Backgroud tasks are still very limited on iOs
    4. Advanced web browsing with plugins, advanced photo-video editing with multi-monitor setup are not possible
    5. Developing, even simple enough
    6. Sending files to my eBook or Music Player (not iPod)
    7. Really productive multitasking with a lot of windows, tabs and displays connected (even for work with text and writing an article it is worse on iOs)
    8. You can run windows if you need it sometimes on mac
    9. You can find any app you want without app store and a lot of them are free or have trial period if you need it once - this all is possible only on mac
    10. I still think mobile gaming is stupid waste of time, but there are some interesting games on mac (or windows, remember?)

So, enough. Mac is just better here. iPad would be an option, if it had desktop-class OS, for now - it is just a toy.
    11-14-2016 10:43 AM
    Thanks so much for the input everyone! It's interesting to see such a split. I definitely have to do some more considering!
    11-14-2016 11:59 AM
    Hmm...You just can't do a lot of things on iPad Pro and cloud service is not the best choice:
    2. 3rd party CS apps, like Mega, have problems with saving and opening files on the device
    4. Advanced web browsing with plugins, advanced photo-video editing with multi-monitor setup are not possible
    7. Really productive multitasking with a lot of windows, tabs and displays connected (even for work with text and writing an article it is worse on iOs)
    9. You can find any app you want without app store and a lot of them are free or have trial period if you need it once - this all is possible only on mac
    10. I still think mobile gaming is stupid waste of time, but there are some interesting games on mac (or windows, remember?)

So, enough. Mac is just better here. iPad would be an option, if it had desktop-class OS, for now - it is just a toy.
    True, but I think that for some users--specifically those with very basic needs--the iPad Pro could work. The OP has very basic needs. If money was a concern buying an iPad Pro could save a lot of money, even with a $0.99/month iCloud plan. Is it ideal for all situations? Absolutely not. I mean, there's a reason I have both. In the end, every use case is unique.

Honestly, you bring up some very good points. I just don't think they apply to ALL users.
    11-14-2016 12:30 PM

Excellent summary, but those items don't fit everyone. Otherwise there would be no such thing as an iPad Pro. I personally couldn't do with just an iPad Pro but in the case of the OP it's enough for what they need so that's what I voted for!
    11-14-2016 12:36 PM
34 12