Hey Y'all

My Macbook Air 2012 only lasts about 3.5 hours with web-surfing and light streaming. The battery has almost 900 battery cycles, and this is the second battery as the first one was a lemon. The trackpad also doesn't click. Also, I use stata and it gets hung up on some large data sets I'm using. For these reasons, I wanted to get a new Macbook Pro. I'm set on the new 2016 version because I don't care about the lack of ports that much. However, I'm not sure which model to get. The baseline model has a slightly larger battery (some have reported 12+ hours battery life) than the touchbar model but has only 2 ports. I'm not sure that I will ever need more than two ports as I'll get a dongle with USB-A's and an hdmi port. These will handle my need for presentations and charging/thumb drives. Nevertheless, I am the kind of person to read countless reviews and think-pieces. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm fairly certain I would appreciate the touchbar's capabilities in microsoft office but not photo/video editing. I also dabble a little bit in electronic music with presonus studio one and will learn python soon, but Idk about those capabilities. I have a nagging suspicion that if I get the baseline model, I'll regret not having the touchbar. I know I can wait till more reviews are in especially about the touch bar model, but if I just just need the baseline model, I would rather not wait. So I just wanted some feedback and what y'all think. Thanks!
    10-31-2016 11:05 PM
    Youĺl do better on a Retina Macbook 12.
    11-07-2016 08:11 AM
    If the trackpad does not depress it's likely due to the battery swelling, a definite sign it's on the way out.
    As for which 2016 model to go for, I'm reluctant to buy a new release model until it's been in use for a while so I usually buy last years best model. Currently I have a late 2015 13" rMBP 2.34MHz i5 CPU.
    However the 15" has an i7 quad core CPU and I think for your purposes you would be hard pressed to find a better portable computer.
    You might even find the price reduced a little once the 2016 models are released.
    11-07-2016 11:01 PM
    Comign from a Macbook Air 2012 i think the 2016 Macbook Pro (Non ToucBar) would be perfect for you.

It doesn't have a lemon as a battery. From person experience lemons don't hold charge well.

With regards to the battery life, it does have a larger battery than the Touch bar brothers and because of that it will have longer battery life (Maybe 1 hour). Apple isn't allowed to say that because it would make their more expensive laptops look worse LOL.

Still cant believe the 13" (2016) has a 49 WH battery. and the 15" inch from last year had a 99.5 Wh. Thats literally DOUBLE the battery size. Sigh. If only Apple kept their laptops the same thickness.
    11-08-2016 01:39 AM
    For me I'm thinking non- touchbar too. Hearing it has a bigger battery that makes it even more appealing. For the original question, why do they need a prog? In addition to 12 MacBook, why consider not another 13" MacBook Air? Or even a iPad Pro?
    11-09-2016 03:31 AM
    I like both new models. Either way I'd be happy with it. If the non touch bar model had Touch ID, I would probably get that one. I love Touch ID. Since, Touch ID only comes with the touch bar model though, I'd get that, and I'm sure I'd end up loving the touch bar.
    11-18-2016 01:39 PM
    I totally agree. I see the non-touchbar essentially the retina MacBook Air. I think Apple wishes the core M chip in the 12" MacBook was more capable than it is, but it isn't. I think I'm going to go for the touchbar 13" because the Chip is a little faster and the RAM and SSD are a little faster. I bet for normal use (and maybe even more my use of Dragon Dication) those differences won't matter, but I don't want it to be slow. I'm hoping I don't loose much battery life with the smaller battery. I admit I'm not so excited about the track bar, and it comes in at $300 more!
    11-19-2016 01:24 AM
    I quite like the base model also, it if someone offered me a choice for free, I would go with the touch bar model, haha. And I mean I agree with the MacBook just not being powerful enough. Even if I don't need it to do super powerful things it will still be slower.
    11-21-2016 08:16 AM