Are you going to buy the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID?

Are you going to buy the new MacBook Pro with Touch Bar and Touch ID?

• Yes

Votes: 41 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I am torn. Do I want the basic 13 inch, a sort of super 13 MacBook Air that that I am using, or so I need the 15 inch - which is a lot heavier and a lot more espensive and I'm not sure for me I need all that. And the touch bar looks cool, but do I need it? Not so sure.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
For me the 15 inch is worth the extra weight (and sore back) based on screen size alone. I don't have desk space at home or work, which means I work wherever there is space and don't have a monitor. My dream scenario, to be honest, would be a Macbook Pro and a 12.9 iPad Pro which could be hooked up through Duet Display in a pinch for my screen real estate. Not financially practical on a PhD stipend though!

angusmatheson, one thing to keep in mind with the non-touch bar option is that it will likely get better battery life. Apple is quoting them the same, but it uses a slightly more efficient processor, has a slightly bigger battery, and will consume slightly less power due to not having the OLED display from the Touch Bar. No way to know until reviews come in, but I wouldn't be surprised if each of those "slightlys" add up to another hour or two of battery life!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Simple question here! Please vote and share your reasoning with us. Do the improved specs and features make the new MacBook Pro worth your hard earned dollar? Or are you completely fine with your current setup? Sound off!

I answered the question with NO.

Reason: Price. simple as that.

I don't feel the increase by $300 is worth it. There are 2015 Macbook Pros with 80 - 90% of the power and $500 cheaper in some cases.

I absolutely love the design, i love the touch bar and the screen ect and would be fantastic to own, genuinely amazing. But, not worth the price. If it was a $100 increase for the touch bar i would be OK with that,

Seano123

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
I was waiting for new models so I could get a new machine at the right time. I would have been happy with just a speed bump.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
The price hike is frustrating, especially as it's likely to come back down for the second generation. That said, while the entry level machines are more expensive they aren't all more pricey spec for spec. For example, if you always planned on getting a 15 inch with discrete graphics, then the entry level price for a 15" with dGPU is basically the same as it always was, they just don't offer an iGPU version any more. Likewise with the base 13" machine: it has a 256GB SSD whereas the old entry started at 128, but if you upgraded the entry 2015 Mac to 256GB it was basically the same price as the 2016 one with similar storage.

In other words, they didn't so much increase the prices as they dropped the base level machines.

Last edited:

maxtweet

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I am not planning to buy a touch bar, Touch ID laptop. The price is too high, I think I would like the 13" MacBook Pro baseline model for traveling. I am also waiting for an upgrade to a Mac Pro. I might have no choice but to create a hackintosh instead....

JSSmith83

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
I was planning to lay down the cash for one. I liked the smaller footprint, touchID, and I'm intrigued by the touch bar, however the price of entry is too steep for me. If it had been cheaper, I would have jumped at it. Now if someone gave me one, I'd take it. 🤗 otherwise, its wait until next year and see

Ericclark4

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
really good hardware, but might get the non touchbar 13 inch model, which is significantly cheaper, all the macbook pros are thinner than the macbook air.

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Keeping my 2014 MacBook Pro.

I actually use the SD Card, HDMI and old USB ports. Don't want adapters and dongles.

Love the MagSafe.

Love the full-travel keyboard.

Love the light-up logo, as trivial and silly as it may be ;)

If thin and light (and even more expensive) is the new priority of the "Pro" with all the compromises that brings, I don't see myself "upgrading" anytime soon.

ROSES5682

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Keeping my 2014 MacBook Pro.

I actually use the SD Card, HDMI and old USB ports. Don't want adapters and dongles.

Love the MagSafe.

Love the full-travel keyboard.

Love the light-up logo, as trivial and silly as it may be ;)

If thin and light (and even more expensive) is the new priority of the "Pro" with all the compromises that brings, I don't see myself "upgrading" anytime soon.

I must say, as enticing as the new MacBook is, the lose of the MagSafe and SD card slot is a big bummer. The MagSafe has saved my MacBook from dying plenty of times especially from my children who constantly trip over the power cord.

jayk82

Trusted Member
Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
My work is buying me this one, so........ I've been needing a laptop, especially for this job, so I'm excited!

Nice!!! On a side note, are y'all hiring???

Since I have an early 2015 13" rMBP, I unfortunately will have to wait it out. Love the new updates though. Had my Air not have died on me and forced an early upgrade, I would've gladly gotten one of these new machines.

MrJosefK

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
I will be getting the 15" Space grey. I have the 2015 13" I run a virtual machine in unity, the 13" just does not run as smoothly as my last 2013 15" MacBook Pro, I and really looking forward to using a quad core cpu again and having loads of safari tabs open!

maxagin

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'll wait to see if I win one. Not sure about this touch track thing. Looks a little funky. Didn't realize this was something people needed, but I could be wrong.....

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77