Gaming on a 2012 MBP

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I've recently decided to give it a try, so I could game on the go. The thing is that I'm using Steam and, unlike my Windows desktop PC, I can't find a way to override it. On there, I can use the game's executable directly to bypass Steam's launcher, which increases my games performance while decreasing the initial startup time.

So, my question is as follows: Is there a way to mimic that on macOS Sierra?
Any input on that is welcomed and greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Just thinking out loud here. I wonder if you can do a dual boot and then boot in to Windows on the MBP for gaming and just use your regular Windows setup? (You would of course need a windows license - Are you still using the Windows desktop? Does it have a license sticker on it?) You would need to google the dual boot instructions as I don't know them off hand. Also NOT all Macs are capable of doing it, but I THINK yours can. :)

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, it looks like I got my answer!
Here it is:

Users/_user_/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/Common/game name and from there, "right click" the executable (or the launcher directly) and select 'Make an Alias' then put it on your desktop or the location of your choice.

Thanks Mike ;)

Last edited:

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Just thinking out loud here. I wonder if you can do a dual boot and then boot in to Windows on the MBP for gaming and just use your regular Windows setup? (You would of course need a windows license - Are you still using the Windows desktop? Does it have a license sticker on it?) You would need to google the dual boot instructions as I don't know them off hand. Also NOT all Macs are capable of doing it, but I THINK yours can. :)

Yeah, that's the "complicated" way around, which doesn't tend to do well with me hahah! But definitely an alternative to consider for someone who has the virtue I don't have!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2