New MacBook Pro harddrive

vinnyl26

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
My old pro had a 750G hard drive. Why the hell did Apple go to a SSD hardrive? 128G or 250G is nothing for a laptop. Yea u can use an external drive but what's the point? More stuff to hook up

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Can you not remove the SSD drive and install your old 750 GB hard drive in its place? 128 GB and 256 GB of storage space is more than enough for a good deal of people. Of course, there are always exceptions, but thankfully, users are able to purchase external products to supplement what they are lacking. That's the point of using an external hard drive. Yes, it "more stuff to hook up", but then again, how many items do people have hooked up to their TVs? Do we not hook up a charging cable to charge our devices? Do we not hook up a pair of earphones to listen to our music privately, except when we use Bluetooth?

dionhan

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
A SSD makes your laptop a lot faster. The harddrive is the slowest part in a computer. The computer's speed is based on the slowest hardware part. So if you replace a normal harddrive with a SSD your computer will be as fast as that SSD which means you can boot faster, run programs faster etc. The reason the capacity is not that much is because the SSD drives are a lot more expensive.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You can get up to 512gb if you want, but not any normal hard drive will fit if you wanted to swap it so that's a no-go.

Like @dionhan said, an SSD makes a major difference in the speed of the computer, even above what a processor upgrade will do. SSD is the future HDD is the past.

angusmatheson

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
It's funny. I am totally the opposite. I wonder why I would ever want more than a 128 SSD storage. I lice in a web app for work, have Apple Music, use iCloud. The only time I got into trouble with storage is when I had multiple accounts of my MacBook Air and boot camp windows.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's funny. I am totally the opposite. I wonder why I would ever want more than a 128 SSD storage. I lice in a web app for work, have Apple Music, use iCloud. The only time I got into trouble with storage is when I had multiple accounts of my MacBook Air and boot camp windows.

The 256gb SSD are faster, and if you use larger programs (MS Office, Adobe CC, etc.) the 256 is a must. Not everyone needs the storage, but the speed is good :)

olearydan

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I have to back up what most others are saying on this thread. There are so many online solutions to storage that the speed of the SSD far outweighs the detriment of some storage space when you can store your music and photos online... I can see your frustration, but I believe for most consumers the options available will be more than adequate.

psamo

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
That because apple wants to make this Mac Book faster than previous Mac Books.If you install some heavy softwares 256 GB is the the best one.

RBNetEngr

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
You can get up to 1TB SSD in the 13" model, and 2TB in the 15" model, if you're willing to spend the extra money.

I'm going to upgrade from the base SSD and get 512GB. That should be more than enough for what I need to carry around. Beyond that, we can get 200GB of iCloud storage for $2.99/mo, 1TB for $9.99/mo, or even 2TB for $19.99/mo. And there are other cloud storage providers out there who provide lots of storage for similar prices, or less.

I figure that 512GB is plenty of space for what I need to always have with me, and the cloud storage is something that is always available (when online), to save less frequently accessed files.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
My old pro had a 750G hard drive. Why the hell did Apple go to a SSD hardrive? 128G or 250G is nothing for a laptop. Yea u can use an external drive but what's the point? More stuff to hook up

Apple simply chose speed over capacity.
A regular 5400 tmp Hard drive can get up to 100mb/s (read).
Wheras a SSD SATA III can go up to 550mb/s (Read)
and a PCIe based Flash storage can go up to 3GB/s (read)

This ultimately makes the computer run much much quicker. I also log having the storage space but until SSD and PCIe Flash becomes cheaper. We will have to be OK with 256 GB :)

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
My 2011 Macbook Pro's load speeds was practically night and day when I swapped out the stock 750 GB HD for a 512 GB SSD. With 2/3rds of the current drive filled, if I do upgrade for a newer MBP, I have to at the very least get 512 GB or higher. As for cloud services, I do use a couple of them (Google Drive and OneDrive), as well as Time Machine to backup what I have onboard.

groy22799

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I think that is why they offer up to 2TB options now. The SSD being soldered to the system board allows for superior performance. Additional space can be added via external solutions. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2