Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By kch50428
  • 1 Post By maverick786us
  • 1 Post By MrAdamsD
  • 1 Post By Just_Me_D
  • 1 Post By Matty
  • 2 Post By Matty
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,071 Global Posts

Default Did I make the right decision? Or was it a mistake?

The next generation MacBook pro 15 is coming soon. But i couldn't wait that long as I've been waiting for almost an year, and still there is no official announcement from Apple. I purchased the current generation MacBook Pro 15. Was my decision right or did I make a mistake?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    21,872 Global Posts

Default Re: Did I make the right decision? Or was it a mistake?

If you're using the new machine to meet your computing needs, no...you didn't make a mistake. When and if a new version comes out, you're free to get that and sell the current one if you want to...
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,071 Global Posts

After using it for almost a day, I love this book. Comparing it with my 3 yr old HP Envy 15, (Which almost has an identical CPU) I find the difference like heaven and earth.
    The only reason i waited was...

1) I was frustrated for apple using 3 yr old CPU for its top end MacBook when its smaller cousins had the latest CPU. I thought new CPU will add more battery life because of 16NM process, besides power
    2) I thought the next upgrade might add double the storage at the same price.

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Now my question is, is it worth to buy apple care to get the warranty extended for 3 years? Specially when i will upgrade the SSD within an year, once the price of 2TB SSD are reasonable?
    Just_Me_D likes this.
    iMore Beginner

I also couldn't wait for the new MacBook Pro and purchased the 13" MacBook Pro. It arrives next week, I was nervous because I know the new one might come out before the years up. At the end of the day, if this meets all my needs I'm totally fine with my decision.
    maverick786us likes this.

Remember, there will always be something new coming out, but that doesn't mean that what you get today won't benefit you for years to come. With that in mind, get what you need now. New gadgets and gimmicks do not mean a thing if you're not going to use them on a regular basis.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,071 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Me_D View Post
    Remember, there will always be something new coming out, but that doesn't mean that what you get today won't benefit you for years to come. With that in mind, get what you need now. New gadgets and gimmicks do not mean a thing if you're not going to use them on a regular basis.
    Yes there is always something new coming out, I purchased this book when the new book is about to released in couple of months.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maverick786us View Post
    The next generation MacBook pro 15 is coming soon. But i couldn't wait that long as I've been waiting for almost an year, and still there is no official announcement from Apple. I purchased the current generation MacBook Pro 15. Was my decision right or did I make a mistake?
    I'm sure others have already stated this but here is my side.

maverick786us, i was in the same boat as you. I purchased a Late 2011 Macbook Pro 13" and only 3 months later, a brand new version with massively updated specs came out. lol

But i still use that same Macbook today and it does everything i need it to. So YES it would have been nice to have but I'm still happy with my purchase.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    18,215 Global Posts

So now that the new MacBook is official, how do you feel?
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    I'm sure others have already stated this but here is my side.

maverick786us, i was in the same boat as you. I purchased a Late 2011 Macbook Pro 13" and only 3 months later, a brand new version with massively updated specs came out. lol

But i still use that same Macbook today and it does everything i need it to. So YES it would have been nice to have but I'm still happy with my purchase.
    I purchased the 2015 MacBook Pro retina 15.4 and I'm a satisfied customer. The new MacBook doesn't appeal to me to make me regret my decision. Glad everyone is happy with their current purchase.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gdgtmom View Post
    I purchased the 2015 MacBook Pro retina 15.4 and I'm a satisfied customer. The new MacBook doesn't appeal to me to make me regret my decision. Glad everyone is happy with their current purchase.
    I feel that if you purchase something. Be happy with it and don't look at whats coming out because there will always be something new and 'better' ^_^

Apple MacBooks are so well built and last forever. The 15" 2015 is a gorgeous laptop. You made a great purchase! So jealous.
    gdgtmom and jsarino like this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    I feel that if you purchase something. Be happy with it and don't look at whats coming out because there will always be something new and 'better' ^_^

Apple MacBooks are so well built and last forever. The 15" 2015 is a gorgeous laptop. You made a great purchase! So jealous.
    I agree
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    7,331 Global Posts

I think you made the right move. I have a maxed out 2015 model and I see no reason to upgrade to the newest model. let alone purchase it over the 2015 model. Its very nice, don't get me wrong, but I feel its somewhat of a step backward.