Macbook Pro Hard drive

jhnnyblze2000

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
I have the newest model mackbook pro and was wondering if I can upgrade the hard drive to something bigger. Would like to go to 512gb or even a 1tb. Sorry if this was discussed somewhere else.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
You have two choices AFAIK,
1. eBay and those models are from parts from another MBP
2. OWC. The issue with OWC, is that they used a RAID controller chip to to keep costs down and so you don't have TRIM support, and the speed may not be the best over the long haul. Given the high cost, I'm not sure its worth it.

Here's a Nice write up on the OWC SSD replacement and this here further explains the RAID situation

In order to keep costs under control, OWC has opted to not use a native PCIe SSD controller. Instead, the PCIe Aura SSD uses a Marvell 9230 SATA RAID controller and a pair of Silicon Motion SM2256 SATA SSD controllers. The Marvell 9230 has a PCIe 2.0 x2 host interface, so the PCIe Aura SSD has the potential to outperform SATA SSDs but won't be able to approach the peak transfer rates of the recent Samsung SM951-based Apple originals. The Silicon Motion SM2256 controllers mean the PCIe Aura SSD is almost certainly using TLC flash, which is less expensive but also performs worse and draws more power than MLC flash. The PCIe Aura SSD's RAID design unfortunately does not support passing through TRIM commands nor retrieving SMART information from the individual SSD controllers.

I have no experience with these drives, but I heard you may have issues with bootcamp, thanks to the raid controller, I cannot confirm this, but its something that seems to be out there on interwebs.

Did you consider a large sdcard?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2