Can I get some advice on buying my first Mac?

gurpartap singh1

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
advice on buying first mac

hello guys
recently my 6yr old studio xps died and i am now looking to buy a new laptop but am confused between 13inch and the 15inch macbook pro. My primary uses will be as follows-
word processing
browsing with generally 6-7 tabs open
video streaming-youtube etc
watching bluray movies tv shows etc
very light casual photo editing(no photoshop)
running one virtual machine of windows to run a very specific medical software(java based ) so was thinking of using parallels as that is the most popular -i just want it to run smoothly.(the software is not ram intensive very light)

No gaming NO video editing No programming

so my question is will the 13inch rmbp with 8gb ram run my virtual machine smoothly along with me doing other tasks simultaneously like some bowser tabs open and word processing or do i really need a base 15inch rmbp

ps- I can`t go for any bto models as its not availaible here in my country so have to go for instore models

from my research till now i should be comfortable with 13inch rmbp w512gb ssd. What do you guys say?
if any of use parallels on the 13inch rmbp please give some review how well does it handle it
thank you :)

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: advice on buying first mac

Hello Bro,

To choose a MacBook Pro is simple. If you're a mobile person that need a laptop only for office work but handy to carry, you can choose MacBook Pro Retina 13" with Core i5, 8 Gb RAM & 256 Gb Flash Storage. But if you're looking for Speed, editing & performance, but don't mind to carry a bit heavy laptop, you can choose MacBook Pro Retina 15" with Core i7, 16 Gb RAM & 512 Gb Flash Storage.

Good luck & all is up to you to choose, Bro.

Regards,
Ben.Adriyan

Harry Wild

May 25, 2013
Visit site

I would go with the 15"! It much faster, full loaded with quad core i7, 16GB and 256GB SSD. The 13" are dual core CPUS. 15" is almost twice as fast too. Depend if you can afford the price of the 15" and it is about 1.4 lbs. heavier. That is a lot if you are carrying it are all day long - 4.49 lbs. 13" is more compact and cost about $500-$800 less.

Both MacBook Pro Retinas sizes will work!

katesbb

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site

watching bluray movies tv shows etc

I'm not sure what bluray is, but if it involves a CD of some kind, I don't believe the current MacBooks have a CD drive.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... ?

EDIT: I have a 2014 13" rMBP i5 8/256 GB model. It works great with everything you otherwise mentioned, except I've never tried parallels.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73