Why is my Macbook pro 17 CPU running hot?

I

iMore Question

My Macbook pro 17" CPU running hot

why is it hot so much of the time. nO games. Only email and some searching.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: My Macbook pro 17" CPU running hot

How are you using it? Is there space around it so that the fans can move air efficiently for cooling?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Are you running a beta version of El Capitan?

dreamception

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site

What is the exact model, year and identifier so we can further diagnose. Did you upgrade any hardware when you purchased, like hardrives or graphic cards and what OS version are you running.

6PlusManiac

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site

Have you tried making sure dust hasn't collected on the fan or vents? You be surprised what just using a can of dust off can clear out of your cooling system. I only had a computer a year and it was ridiculous how much stuff came out of there and how it ran much quieter after I did that.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site

Also, after checking those things, what programs are you running?

For example running a 3d modeling program is going to tax the system far more than Safari etc. Chrome hits the computer a bit harder than Safari etc.

Check Activity Monitor and see if a rogue program or extension is out of control.

Tomsp

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
I only check emails and do some googling. Nothing special except run Windows 7 using parallel to run Quicken. The Mac version is terrible and I have been a Quicken user since 1993 and am not going to change now.

My 17" Macbook Pro (Late 2011) runs yosemite. It is used on a metal table with legs on my lap and 2" space to my legs. No dust no dirt. The Harddrive was replaced by apple an drecently my Screen went out and Apple changed I guess my graphics board. I had maximum memory when I bout this three years ago.

Tomsp

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site

I only check emails and do some googling. Nothing special except run Windows 7 using parallel to run Quicken. The Mac version is terrible and I have been a Quicken user since 1993 and am not going to change now.

My 17" Macbook Pro (Late 2011) runs yosemite. It is used on a metal table with legs on my lap and 2" space to my legs. No dust no dirt. The Harddrive was replaced by apple an drecently my Screen went out and Apple changed I guess my graphics board. I had maximum memory when I bout this three years ago.

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Running Parallels and a Windows 7 virtual machine (VM) could cause the Mac to work harder, thus generating heat and in turn revving up the fans. I had an early 2011 17" MBP, and had the same failed screen/GPU problem as you did. The system would run hot, if Flash content was playing or Chrome as Scatabrain suggested.

I also ran a Windows 7 VM in Parallels, and that would on occasion cause the MBP to get hot, depending upon what apps I was using in the VM, or what background processes were running.

Running a VM is not a small task, though, so I'd expect there to be some heat generated more than if the VM and Parallels weren't running.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro